Utah!

Yes, that stuff worked great. I was seeing her digging before I used it..now, she is walking around like nothing is ........... bugging her.
gig.gif

On a day like today, is it OK to pull the chicks out of the brooder and let them play on the grass and how long? I picked them up one week ago from IFA. The barred rocks seen to be growing faster than the others.

On a day like today, is it OK to pull the chicks out of the brooder and let them play on the grass and how long? I picked them up one week ago from IFA. The barred rocks seen to be growing faster than the others.

If they have a safe place to play, no problem. Can't get through a fence? Won't leave the area? Go for it!

Awesome. How about feeding them a worm here and there? Can they digest it at this point?

They will have a blast with a worm. When my young ones find one, they do the chase thing all around, each one of them trying to get that worm from another. They should be fine if they swallow a bit of it. :)

So I put out the grow out pen today for the almost 5 week old chicks. I need to get another shipping crate to baby a baby coop to through in their so they can go out for good in a few weeks. Right now they I have a 1/2 of a plastic dog crate they can go into for shade or to get out of the weather, but its bright and sunny outside, so I don't really think they need it, and they will only be out if I'm home to bring them right back in if the weather turns.

So the 12 adult chickens outside are terrified of the babies, I put the grow out pen out there yesterday, and its something they all grew up in at one point in time, so that shouldn't be all that different. But today once I put the chicks out, they all went running for the coop, and I've only seen the Silkies outside since I put the chicks out. Hahahah! Hilarious.

pfrosty, I have taken little chicks outside in this kind of weather numerous times. I had the luxury of sitting out there and watching them, though, so I could see if they were getting too cold. They were usually alright, though. If there's still noticeable chill in the air when you step outside, I wouldn't recommend leaving them outside for very long. Just my two cents, for what it's worth.

Lisa, I am totally going to go scoop a bunch of ashes out of our fire pit and mix them with the sevin to dust my girls. I'm so sick of lice! Ugh! I think they keep getting them from the wild birds that come share meals with them.

Cynthia, ewwwww. Looks like mites. I have only ever seen lice on my birds, and they range from off-white to pale yellow or light brownish-gray. Quite nasty, I know. I always get the heebie jeebies. But I try to identify what they are, too, if only so I can get rid of them more efficiently.

Well, I'm not the only one working on settling in at my new home. I carted several of my girls out here the other day, and they're pretty jumpy. I'm going to have to spend more time with them to help them calm down. Doesn't help that the neighbor has a vicious dog that's always out there barking, either
smack.gif
And, I got word tonight from my brother that one of the toms I have did his thing with my turkey hen, yaaaaay! I hope she starts laying soon. I would love to have more baby turkeys soon. I had a dream today about them. I could hear their little whistling noises :)

By the way, does anyone want a purebred black Ameraucana roo? Yes, I still have him. He doesn't crow very loud, and he does have a little limp - we think the neighbors hurt him a while back. Anyway, he will keep an eye on his hens alright and do his job, but I need to get rid of him for a couple of reasons. One, he attacked DH's granddaughter because she got in the pen with his hens and he didn't know her, and two, I only need my Icelandic roos for breeding. So, anyone that doesn't keep their chickens around small children, you are welcome to him. Or if you want him for dinner, let me know. If no one here wants him, he'll go on KSL. He does have potential for breeding, but like I said, I can't have him around here.

I need help!!!!

Anyone who is near the South Weber area.

I am at the point where a chicken of ours needs to be "culled".

However, I must admit, I could never do it myself. I am too scared and too sad.

Does it sounds strange that I want to take her to the vet and have them "put her to sleep"?

Does anyone wanna do it? I would totally pay you. But I couldn't watch. I have a very bad ugly cry that should not be made public.

Back
Top Bottom