Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Tell me about it! We've got Red-tailed and Coopers hawks, and once we even spied a baby eagle (complete with remnants of head fuzz) sitting in a large dead tree! None of our chickens are truly safe!
See and given where I live this is why my birds don't free range and ALL of my runs are covered with wire or net.

I understand completely. I talked to a friend's mom the other day and asked about her young birds. Of the twenty she started with, twelve were killed by hawks and coyotes. They don't keep their birds confined at all. They can run under cars or into a few small patches of vegetation, but that's pretty much the only cover they get. It makes me sad to think that her birds are always in constant danger.

Oh, how sad about those birds!

I have been looking at bird aviaries. I wonder what DH is going to say if I ask "Hey honey, can we turn our entire back yard into an aviary?" LOL. Not that I'm totally crazy enough to do this, but, then again...

What do you guys think... would something like this batting cage be enough to keep hawks, eagles, etc. away from my girls? http://gourock.com/battingcage_home.html

I wonder if I could sell enough crapola from around the house to pay for something like that. But, I'd only want to spend that kind of money on it if it was believed that it could work.

Edited to add: This would JUST be to replace free-ranging, when I am at home supervising them, during daylight hours. When I am gone, or at night, they are always locked in their coop/run set-up.
You DO KNOW somebody who has created thier own version of this. And for WAY LESS $$$.

Quote:
Tell me about it! We've got Red-tailed and Coopers hawks, and once we even spied a baby eagle (complete with remnants of head fuzz) sitting in a large dead tree! None of our chickens are truly safe!
See and given where I live this is why my birds don't free range and ALL of my runs are covered with wire or net.

I understand completely. I talked to a friend's mom the other day and asked about her young birds. Of the twenty she started with, twelve were killed by hawks and coyotes. They don't keep their birds confined at all. They can run under cars or into a few small patches of vegetation, but that's pretty much the only cover they get. It makes me sad to think that her birds are always in constant danger.

Oh, how sad about those birds!

I have been looking at bird aviaries. I wonder what DH is going to say if I ask "Hey honey, can we turn our entire back yard into an aviary?" LOL. Not that I'm totally crazy enough to do this, but, then again...

What do you guys think... would something like this batting cage be enough to keep hawks, eagles, etc. away from my girls? http://gourock.com/battingcage_home.html

I wonder if I could sell enough crapola from around the house to pay for something like that. But, I'd only want to spend that kind of money on it if it was believed that it could work.

Edited to add: This would JUST be to replace free-ranging, when I am at home supervising them, during daylight hours. When I am gone, or at night, they are always locked in their coop/run set-up.
You DO KNOW somebody who has created thier own version of this. And for WAY LESS $$$.

Can you tell me how?

Quote: It's top secret !!!!
tongue2.gif
I have a stash of fishing net. I just built the frame of wood and strung the net over. It canalso be done with chicken wire or use a nice looking twine. Just make sure that what ever you put up is easy to see from some distance. Before I figured that out I actually had an attempted attack while gone. I nowtry to make sure my covers are esay to see.

Hey Washingtonians!!!!

It's great to see peeps in Washington State who love raising backyard chickens come together, but over 80,000 replies in one thread is bogging down the server when we do updates. For this reason we're starting a new Washingtonians thread.

Please continue all of your great discussions here.

Thanks to all our Washington friends for being (chatty) members of our wonderful community!!!!

Once we see that peeps are migrating to the new thread we'll close this one.

Thanks for understanding the need to keep a clean shop.
thumbsup.gif

Hey Washingtonians!!!!

It's great to see peeps in Washington State who love raising backyard chickens come together, but over 80,000 replies in one thread is bogging down the server when we do updates. For this reason we're starting a new Washingtonians thread.

Please continue all of your great discussions here.

Thanks to all our Washington friends for being (chatty) members of our wonderful community!!!!

Once we see that peeps are migrating to the new thread we'll close this one.

Thanks for understanding the need to keep a clean shop.
thumbsup.gif
Bummer sad we are having to move but understand the need. Hope we can continue as we were. Thanks Nifty and all mods for all of the hard work you people put into this wonderful site!!!
thumbsup.gif

RIP Washingtonians thread

Long Live

Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Russ

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks.

DH finally found the screech. He found a bald eagle screech that sounded exactly like it. Man, when I was out there and it got so quiet, then the screeches between the two trees - whew... that was eerie!
Baldies are most commonly a kind of high pitched chatter. Speaking of the other day we had a pair teaching a juvie to fly/hunt right over our house. DW and I stood there watching for quite a while. Such a beautiful sight!
We have been out on our boat on Lake Samammish in the morning and watched Bals Eagles fish. Sometimes really close to us. It is a magnificent thing to watch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom