Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
YAY!!!!!
celebrate.gif

BTW... I wonder if all RIRs are dull. Mine is. She doesn't have much of a personality. But my EE and Light Brahma make up for it. Oh my gosh - my EE is a handful and so funny to watch. And, the Light Brahma is such a sweetheart. She's my cuddle-monkey. She seems to love being held.

Could you believe the comb and wattles on my little Stew?! He was gonna be a handsome thing, but he was a handful and a brat. Very antisocial. I love RIRs for their production capabilities, but man are they boring! My Buff Orpingtons LOVE to be held. As soon as you open the coop door they're up on the railing cooing at you and trying to figure out a way to jump onto you and be held, if you don't pick them right up. Super soft and cute!

Quote: Well let's see:
The coop is 194 sq ft (I believe - it is just under 200 sq ft).
It will be housing a lot of birds...I am so excited. I will also be having it to store some of the "chaos" in my yard to clean it up and organize it. I am hoping to have 5 or 6 pens of breeding trios or quads. Then on the other side will have broody pens and brooder/grow out box/boxes. My head is spinning from all the ideas.

Oh: 3 serama eggs = 1 grade AA eggs. So for a 3 egg omelet you will need at least 9 serama eggs. LOL. Not sure how many ina quiche.

That is wonderful!! So exciting... :) Well, I just made a crust-less quiche for brunch, served 7..and it took 12 eggs!

So tonight I believe the crazy hoarse sound I heard coming from my EEer "Martha" was her attempting to crow; I think a name change might be in order; Marty is quite a gentlemanly name and will suit him/her well if she is indeed a he
wink.png

Also, as I stood in the doorway of the coop, one of my Buff Orpingtons looked like she was going to jump down to the floor from the high roost, or onto me. I held out my arm. She jumped. She flapped. She landed. Above my head on the top of the door!!
ep.gif
Crazy chicken. I got her down so she wouldn't hurt herself.
Before I got some cockerals, my hen at the top of the pecking order used to try and crow. She was also a much better flock protector than the boys are. I still have her, but now she leaves those jobs to the boys.

Ok...hatching sucks!! (not really) The waiting is killing me!!!!!!
barnie.gif

At last update, late last night, 2 had pipped. Today is day 21 so I am hoping for more news when Tamara gets up this morning.
fl.gif

I am never going to live through this.(I know DRAMA!)
lau.gif

Edited to add- Tamara just texted- 4 pips!

Last edited:
Ok...hatching sucks!! (not really) The waiting is killing me!!!!!!
barnie.gif

At last update, late last night, 2 had pipped. Today is day 21 so I am hoping for more news when Tamara gets up this morning.
fl.gif

I am never going to live through this.(I know DRAMA!)
lau.gif

Try living through waiting for a broody Polish of all breeds to live through AND successfully hatch out a clutch of chicks on the outside of the pasture/pen fence boundaries. Luckily after this rain she's proven to me that whereever she is, it is dry, but predators? -- Really really hope such a threat never happens! I cringe just thinking about it, but even if I did find her clutch, I wouldn't really want to move her. There's Tolbunt eggs under her, already at least a week in development.

YAY!!!!!
celebrate.gif

BTW... I wonder if all RIRs are dull. Mine is. She doesn't have much of a personality. But my EE and Light Brahma make up for it. Oh my gosh - my EE is a handful and so funny to watch. And, the Light Brahma is such a sweetheart. She's my cuddle-monkey. She seems to love being held.
I think its hard to pick One breed that has great personality or is the friendliest. I think it comes down to the individual chicken! When I bought my first group of chickens three years ago, I got two RIR. one is the sweetest most friendly girl lots of personality. she is my favorite and will be with me till the day she dies. she went broody last summer and was the perfect mom!. the other was the ***** of the group. she was the first one into the coop every night and would scream and holler at the others as they came in. she would peck any bird that got close to her. I got rid of her three months ago.. I have two EE's and they aren't that friendly. one will peck me anytime I try to touch her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom