Water Soluble Wormers

Does anyone have a copy of Gale Damerow's Chicken Health Handbook? If so, can you check to see if it says that one can use Ivomec (ivermectin) at 4cc per gallon of water? If it does, that info is not correct, injectable ivermectin is not water soluble and will float to the top in minutes.

-Kathy
I found this online at: https://books.google.com/books?id=2...v=onepage&q=gail damerow fenbendazole&f=false

Livestock ivermectin is *not* water soluble!

-Kathy

Last edited:
This is FANTASTIC news! Did I read that right? I can treat for worms in water?!!!! Kathy, which one would you recommend for capilaria? Safeguard AquaSol or Worm Out or one of the others. I'd like to have some on hand just in case. We had a fecal done a week ago to see if we needed to worm. Vet found mild case of coccidiosis which we treated with Corrid but he also found 1 (just 1) cappilaria. He said since it was only one that it may clear its self. I'm going to have another fecal done to make sure. But I would love to be able to treat in water if I need to! I am so excited about this news!!! Also, you said dosage needs to be much higher for capilaria...any ideas how high for in water? Thank you so much for this post!

This is FANTASTIC news! Did I read that right? I can treat for worms in water?!!!! Kathy, which one would you recommend for capilaria? Safeguard AquaSol or Worm Out or one of the others. I'd like to have some on hand just in case. We had a fecal done a week ago to see if we needed to worm. Vet found mild case of coccidiosis which we treated with Corrid but he also found 1 (just 1) cappilaria. He said since it was only one that it may clear its self. I'm going to have another fecal done to make sure. But I would love to be able to treat in water if I need to! I am so excited about this news!!! Also, you said dosage needs to be much higher for capilaria...any ideas how high for in water? Thank you so much for this post!
The new Safeguard product is *very* expensive (~$300/liter), and not easy to find, so talk to your vet about using the AquaSol. It's not cheap either, but might be a better investment than the Safeguard. According to the mfg of AquaSol, the dose is 47ml/ gallon for two days. It says nothing about repeating in ten days, but I suspect that might be what a vet would recommend.

-Kathy

Regarding the levamisole (Prohibit), I've read that it's not as safe in some species, so still looking into that.

-Kathy

Wow, that's expensive! Thanks for the info Kathy. I had a second fecal done and thankfully they are clear. I will definately look more into options in the future when needed.

From Farad:
http://www.usfarad.org/drug-wdi-faqs.html

Fenbendazole
Fenbendazole is approved as an oral suspension for laying hens in the United Kingdom for treatment of gastro-intestinal nematodes at a dose of 1mg/kg/bw for 5 days and has a zero day egg and six day meat withdrawal. In the US, since there is no tolerance, this withdrawal needs to be extended.

Piperazine
There is one study looking at piperazine residues in the eggs of treated hens. Piperazine is approved for use in laying hens in Australia and Canada at doses ranging from 130 to 200mg/kg/body weight one time and a zero day egg and meat withdrawal. Because of the lack of a tolerance in the US, FARAD recommends a 17 day egg withdrawal for piperazine used at broiler label doses in laying hens.

-Kathy

Does anyone have a copy of Gale Damerow's Chicken Health Handbook? If so, can you check to see if it says that one can use Ivomec (ivermectin) at 4cc per gallon of water? If it does, that info is not correct, injectable ivermectin is not water soluble and will float to the top in minutes.

-Kathy
My copy of her book is copyright 1994 - no in-water suggestions -- only oral. e.g.for bantam 5-7 drops by mouth, for scaley leg up to 1/4cc for large bird by mouth - withdrawal time unknown - so not to be used for egg or meat birds- p70.

I was talking to a friend a while back and he suggested Valbazen as a wormer that will get rid of any parasites you might have in your flock. Now that being said he is a very reliable source of information and has more experience in the avian industry than most. He has worked in zoos and trained many birds and animals for hollywood, ECT ECT his credentials go on forever! Anyway i was just wondering what you all thought of it for use in more exotic birds such as Mandarin ducks, pheasants, peafowl, ECT? I am really curious if there is anyone else that uses it for birds like this and what their success rate is? I am always looking to learn things so i figured i would throw that out there.
:)

Back
Top Bottom