We Can't STOP! Another Dog!!

Mountain Man Jim

Songster
13 Years
Oct 14, 2007
Rocky Mountain Foothills
We really need help or to stay off the Humane Society's website ... Below are a couple of pictures of the latest addition to our farm. He brings us to 5 dogs, 7 chickens, 4 ducks and 1 cat. So, with five dogs, do you think the chickens are protected enough??

CIMG0014tu.jpg

CIMG0016tu.jpg

CIMG0012tu.jpg

His name is Jasper, he's an Australian Shepherd and about 3 years old. Yes, he is a pound puppy; apparently a stray from another state. He is an incredibly sweet dog; very bright, energetic and fast, but always looking to please and is a great listener. We were going to "chicken train" him this weekend (we got him on Tuesday), but it looks he's going to be great with the birds (tends to ignore them completely) and won't need really any training
big_smile.png
We keep getting lucky
wink.png

Jim

Update on Jasper:

Well, chicken training went was we except ... he doesn't need training
big_smile.png

He ignores the chickens when I'm not with him. When I am with him, he is right by my side and will cautiously sniff a bird if I let him. I prefer that he gets his curiosities out of the way when I am with him.

He spent all day yesterday out with the birds (birds and dogs are free range on a 1 acre fenced in yard). There was no chasing or any other interest in the birds. Plus, he has already gotten into the guarding the property mode. Looks like he is going to be a good CGD (Chicken Guardian Dog).

I think our luck/success my have something to do with the large pack of dogs that we already have. The pack already knows the birds are off limits. Hence, there is no pack mentality for hunting down the birds. Plus, the leader of pack seems to intervene at times when there appears to be a hint of interest in the birds. The pack is content on lying on the porch and barking are passerby’s and the occasionally Fox, Coyote, etc. The new member, Jasper, is happy to follow the lead of the pack.

Wish us luck with the newest member of the pack,

Jim

Quote:
Ok, Jim, you can quit teasing me right now!!! I love Aussies and I have to avert my eyes everytime I see one or my beloved Aussie, Fuzzy, would have a dozen brothers and sisters right now.
hit.gif

He's absolutely gorgeous! I love Aussies, and especially the red merle. Jasper's coloring is so unique! Congrats on the chicken training (or lack of training needed) too. Unfortunately, my Aussie boy is a little too keen on chasing small animals. He's not trying to hurt them, but it's way too easy for accidents to happen, so once we get our chickens, they will be very securely fenced AWAY from Fynnigan Brat Mitchell (his full name
smile.png
)

Back
Top Bottom