weird regional words...

I was watching Paula Deen the other afternoon. Boy, she puts a lot of 'awawl' in her frying pan.
big_smile.png

in NJ it's a hero sandwich. Cause you had to be one to eat one of those things.

Quote:
mmmmmm.....Wawa hot dogs....... **droool** Sheetz makes a dang good dog too...they used to only be out near Pittsburg...but there's one around here now
smile.png

Oh and pizza is an entirely different thing in NY/PA/NJ than the midwest.......in the midwest there's nasty thick crust stuff......and a really good pizza is NOWHERE to be found! In NY/PA/NJ (mostly in NJ) you can get cracker thin, crispy crust pizza with sweet tasty sauce........ **drooooool**

Pete & Elda's pizza joint makes the best!

Never had it...but the best pizza I've ever had was at Nellie's Place, and Chimney Rock Inn. You can eat a half a pizza before realizing what you've done....lol Nellie's is in...I believe Ridgewood... Chimney Rock is in Bridgewater and Gilette.

OH OH...and DINERS!! If you've never been to Jersey you don't know what a real diner is!

Last edited:
"lit up" is drunk here.

a "bbq" is not something you do, it is a Sloppy Joe (just call it a sloppy joe people!)...It confuses me when ppl say they are having a bbq...and they mean they are eating a sloppy joe!

a truck is not what we drive around our farms in (whoda thunk?) it is anything that requires a special license code to drive...

they dont eat lunch here, EVER. I think I am the only person in my office who eats lunch. Everyone else eats Dinner...then they have Supper in the evening. I think its because the meals are always so big its like Supper all the time....

A few I've heard often in East & Central KY:

"I'ma" -- I'm going to: "I'ma go fishin."
"Study" -- to think about: "I'ma study on it."
"Tore all to pieces" -- really upset: "He's tore all to pieces since his cat died."
"Knowed" -- knew: "I knowed better than to do that."
"Throwed" or "Tho'd" -- threw: "The milk went bad, so I tho'd it out."
"Gave up" -- went bad, usually mechanical: "My transmission gave up on me yesterday."
"Some ol' boy" -- Someone; a hypothetical person: "Some ol' boy's gonna get killed on that curve one day."
"Orta" -- ought to: "You orta get us some beers."
"A feller" -- thinly veiled reference to YOU as a hypothetical person: "A feller orta get us some beers."
"Liable'ta" -- likely to: "I'm liable'ta call in sick tomorrow."
"Cattycorner" -- diagonally across from: "The drug store is cattycorner from the liquor store."

...and my all-time favorite...

"Whizzerdick" -- aka "doohickey," "thingamajig," etc; the contraption you can't name just at the moment; "Hand me that silver whizzerdick over there."

Back
Top Bottom