weird regional words...

OK I thought of some NY things I think.

Coffee = Caw-fee in NY
Chocolate = Chaulk-late in NY
Dog = Dawg in NY

When I was in Texas, these were the words my sister-in-laws friends kept making me say over and over.

Here we go to the beach but to since we have two different bodies of water surrounding us, it's either "The Sound" or "The Ocean" or "North Shore" and "South Shore"

In NY, BBQ is something you cook on if you are using coals or wood (such as a weber grill), Grilling is if you cook on a propane grill or electric grill.

Here's where it gets tricky, my husband is from Texas so I do know what Texas BBQ is and thats definately something you eat! Delicious!!!!

Because of him I know what a Smoker is. A very large grill looking thing wich has two sections. Half for coals or wood the other half for the BBQ (the kind you eat). The heat from the wood slow cooks the meat while the smoke flavors it and makes a smoke ring on the meat. Brisket is delicous on the smoker!

Oh and diner's in New York and LI are 24 hours. Probably similar to NJ diners. I'm not sure if the diner experience here and in Jersey are like anywhere else.

Last edited:
Quote:
Tasty cakes - not!! I had to deliver flour to a taste cake facility in PA. I will NEVER eat one of those things. I hate learning where food comes from!!!

Scrapple is definitely regional. In NC they have liver mush G-R-O-S-S!!!!

In PA and NJ you eat Tasty Cakes from birth! My folks used to ship them to my brother and I when we lived in the west and midwest. Are just now getting them in NC.

Scrapple is everything but the oink of the pig. Liver Mush is too awful looking to even think of eating.!!

Last edited:
Quote:
You aren't kidding!! They did NJ Diners on Drive-ins, Diners, & Dives. They never even touched one of the one I know. Elmer Diner, Salem Diner, 5 points diner, City Diner, Jim's Lunch. They are all over the place and most are only open for certain times of the day. Mostly Breakfast &Lunch, others Lunch & Dinner. Depending on how the factories run. Real food that you grew up on.

Well being from Virginia, I guess the thing a northerner makes fun of us the most over is "Y'all". As in y'all come on and eat or Y'all get over here or Y'all come back. I guess the other is calling drinks such as coke, pop. Not soda, just pop. I'm sure I have thousands of others, but I can't think of them right now, LOL.

Back
Top Bottom