Welcome to my pond - Swim, wade, or sit on the bank

Yesterday the Duck Brigade spent the entire day trying to breach the perimeter. I guess the weeds are longer on the other side of the fence.

Look how white my Swedish Blue is getting.
9CBB89D9-884D-4C8A-9705-0B166F710A57.jpeg

I have a friend whos a Jammie. I always thought that might get confusing at bedtime, but it works for them.
My mom is Oma.

When I was a kid, my dad's mom was Oma, and her mom was Ahna (which is just "ancestor" in German, not sex determined). My dad's dad was Opa.

Congrats @WVduckchick Nonna!! Thats great to hear! My Mom is "Nonny" to all of her grandbabies.

Egg question, still waiting on all of my hens to start laying. Yesterday we got an egg that is very much lighter brown than any we've gotten before, its almost white. All other eggs have been a pretty dark brown to this point. Do shell colors change or can I assume that another one started laying?

My mom is Oma.

When I was a kid, my dad's mom was Oma, and her mom was Ahna (which is just "ancestor" in German, not sex determined). My dad's dad was Opa.

My dad’s side was all Italian, which is where Nonna comes from. We called my grandmother Nonnie too. At least it’s different, so all the grandmas don’t get confused. Tadpole’s mother’s mother is Gigi. My mother was always Mimi to all her grandkids.

Congrats @WVduckchick Nonna!! Thats great to hear! My Mom is "Nonny" to all of her grandbabies.

Egg question, still waiting on all of my hens to start laying. Yesterday we got an egg that is very much lighter brown than any we've gotten before, its almost white. All other eggs have been a pretty dark brown to this point. Do shell colors change or can I assume that another one started laying?

They may change in intensity of color, but usually the basic shade of color stays the same for each hen. So if it’s way different, I’d say new layer. :)

I have just determined that the hilly bit behind the house does, in fact, have a big flat area close enough to the fence that we won't have to climb/build freakin' stairs to get to, so yay! I do understand Tom's point that having the poultry closer to the house will let the dogs alert us to any nighttime shenanigans, but it would've been much simpler to replace the pasture gate... Being so close to the house means I'll need to actually keep aesthetics in mind, too.

My dad’s side was all Italian, which is where Nonna comes from. We called my grandmother Nonnie too. At least it’s different, so all the grandmas don’t get confused. Tadpole’s mother’s mother is Gigi. My mother was always Mimi to all her grandkids.

They may change in intensity of color, but usually the basic shade of color stays the same for each hen. So if it’s way different, I’d say new layer. :)
DW's Gigi, too, to the GGD.

Yay! I'd bet new layer. :clap

This guy was in my yard this morning:

831gfkTegTAc6BUVRUC6hZLAd0_kA4J0asjV3TI0fMx5S2QooJKnjgo9nMVMEcXUyyhM8toiIopZOrXViiaIIr5LwTfiVr8pPxfezFth6tx0RyDt9HpiTFNzCTk674kAWWhw6JWo75QCS1Jy1slTuA-Lm0ZR2LVW-8-NpN9LHpBt_kn8RChN21tCX4b1yoA39Ui5lQFUXkDzCj2MGR7FZ_GJm0sdXHA31AQBFIgSAFhyHuNJ2xn2MUQcSHS-36eqXzqJfWpaV1A01IrL3H9s4MkAlDepSWvS3UcmuG2ZVgP8bDVm7nd3lntFblJvApU_nbGcrNXB3QcYzWX13xsb5dWN_9JLY_hCoI4h1x52LlXL6nGAFhQ4Ah6hF-185C_Rn1tsEhUm0dqC6imqkF0pJSPi6mYyCF3iIBq26hJJzFPQhnnMUw9ALTkShqbQa2fpXGFNgr1_08-ulN1DQuRRXWN_WBPAh2K9XMZGPXR4opMSoBl177WnsdJ2Dk-9PDfqBdhH5kkxZ4BirjsNWcP-IR2Djyfr-HqnqLhNcS57oOTKga7I0-JHpwJeK9oXpo8LLeV7jO6KTvHgxd3FnxXuRpcAATiwoSywkWAZQJXDS_kl20TSij7tw8BjDnOGq1jNXuBWxsoLoVImWBANyBHxpGPFDwugWKs=w986-h657-no

I didn't have my good lens on my camera, just my 200 mm, which is good for getting pictures of chickens across a run, not so great for wildlife shots at a distance, lol.

I like these guys. A huge flock of them lives in some big trees behind a neighbor's house. This is at the house in town, not my place in the country.

The neighbor's cat was out there too. Bird didn't care a lick. In fact he postured at the cat and kept moving toward him until the cat gave up and took off.

aj5gnCENjkfqnIzdete_RXox4BEGrZ1patB1Yn__v8yKBQWOFZsHKUBfc-VQ5uOE8pg5zIsJK4CZw174KfFQRUyq_j00MqfGqpitWJJmnzwRN0pfQC_w3wyAjpfUIMfv0QUZwtgpVka4e8mVFcIMJ3pw4eLhdevi-dTVHZG5vmxqKmDdqlqL30uuMFQrAD8xTwnFDcWZ0aD-JQbgYASb9W47K4TwnRwF9wZxzZG0ywcuimIgtFxdOEn2xbkPWh8NiAS59Nxstf7dM5kVa_qMSbpwt5_WRjH-ujhEDmfvV8dtO_qHn-oscbIPAckjE23kG_rEXIa_inGgkf1YON-q3fC9k9aLtWiCd1hH7cBkBAYg6a9uX4ma9WddeMyJeneVPWgYE62zef4HHp6QoBotcbJc3tvKhhf8WGfIiaE_c2LgKW94WkVbJVlg3EhV2Qvo0CoTEe4tAMC9FFVaAGmrxEtTWcnmx0XnPOH4bR3LZqRItGpz5UjedamW8IxyOGc2Qt7tWP5AWv8YDfWzDNfbnbfPKYhqR1QqVgbgh5GxqQuN9kDOP-nO6obLIr821dY87Ayf55WwtMY45p81XY7LU4fWUlBhLmldDMDTBvq6caNWAreP5nIEOTXfAGlcVqFd9_w1-xsKKcRoMkHDnpAbCayQoNEn140=w986-h657-no

Back
Top Bottom