Welp, the HOA was notified

Pics

Dinogrrl

Songster
Aug 17, 2019
North Carolina
Yeah I got a notice today from the HOA about my chickens...after 5 years of owning them. Anyway, long story short, here's yet another thread asking 'has anyone faced their HOA and actually gotten them to back off/change rules/etc?' Any tips?

I am hoping to talk with the board before they start trying to levy fines and whatever, and see if there isn't at least a compromise that we can reach. Especially as one of my hens is chronically ill and is under veterinary care.

Also I love how they're giving me 10 days to 'remove the chickens'...they dated the letter the 9th, didn't mail it until the 11th, and I just got it today, the 16th. So um...10 days from when, exactly? 9_9

I have no experience with an HOA. While I was waiting for my house to close, I stayed at my mom's house with my 7 chickens and 1 rooster. The county was called because mom wasn't zoned for roosters. We talked with the county guy. He was super nice and told me I could keep him indoors. That's what we did for a few months. Mept him in the garage and took him for walks in the park.

I imagine HOAs are not so kind, but talking to them might help. Maybe get letters from your neighbors that they approve of your flock, maybe?

Yeah I got a notice today from the HOA about my chickens...after 5 years of owning them. Anyway, long story short, here's yet another thread asking 'has anyone faced their HOA and actually gotten them to back off/change rules/etc?' Any tips?

I am hoping to talk with the board before they start trying to levy fines and whatever, and see if there isn't at least a compromise that we can reach. Especially as one of my hens is chronically ill and is under veterinary care.

Also I love how they're giving me 10 days to 'remove the chickens'...they dated the letter the 9th, didn't mail it until the 11th, and I just got it today, the 16th. So um...10 days from when, exactly? 9_9
I have extended family in HOAs. rarely will u get a rule changed without convincing the board to vote on it. It'll have to be like a little campaign to get what u want done. youd have to convince enough people in ur hoa to get the board to change the rules. HOAs tend to be corrupt and basically misuse the fees and fines to make their lives better. I dont know ur HOA, but i for one wont move into one.

I would move the sick hen into the garage while you care for her, and rehome the rest of your flock. If you don't in time, they will likely seize and slaughter your flock. I hate to be this person, but the responsible thing to do is to make sure you're allowed to have chickens before you get them. Now that we're past that point, the responsible thing to do is to find homes for them.

I think you may be able to ask them for an extension for the sick hen (I think 30 days might be a reasonable amount of time. Tell them you will rehome her when she's healed), but I really do think you should begin rehoming your flock now.

Sorry you no longer can have chickens. I know it will be difficult to deal with. :(

The sick hen won't heal, it's a chronic condition that requires medical intervention periodically, or a very expensive surgery.

The original reason I got my chickens was because of my food allergies, so that I could have a safe source of eggs for myself.
You could ask to file an appeal for a medical variance…and get a doctors note explaining your extensive food allergies. Suggest that they limit you to 3-4 hens, and require you to keep them confined at all times, that way you would be able to get enough eggs for your consumption. Might not work, but an appeal will usually buy you time.

The sick hen won't heal, it's a chronic condition that requires medical intervention periodically, or a very expensive surgery.

The original reason I got my chickens was because of my food allergies, so that I could have a safe source of eggs for myself.
I'm sorry to hear that. Do you know someone outside of your HOA who is allowed to have chickens and can keep yours so you can still get the eggs? Also, is there someone who would be willing to care for the sick hen?

I know I've been blunt, but HOAs typically aren't willing to make exceptions for people because then everyone wants and exception and they can't keep up. I think if you asked for the exception before getting the chickens, maybe they would consider it. But now they found out you've been breaking the rule for 5 years so they might not be as willing to work with you. It's still worth talking to them, but since you have a time limit, it would be worth it to begin trying to find homes for them. Try your state thread on here because people on here might be willing to take in a hen who needs medical attention. Also try craigslist.

I am gonna be the odd duck out.
Tell it like it is.
You KNEW when you got chickens they weren't allowed.
You KNEW it was a matter of time til someone contacted the HOA.
Now it's time to say goodbye, fun while it lasted, so long.
Kiss em goodbye, soup em, stew,sell, give away.
Obey the HOA rules, and try to get those you don't like changed.
We are not entitled to everything we want. I won't live in a HOA, simply because I don't want someone else forcing their ideas/rules on me. This is my property. If I want to paint it purple with red yellow and blue stars flowers whatever, I can.
I'm very sorry you're going thru this. You walked in with your eyes wide open.
Good luck and if you can't get the HOA to change its rules/regulations/requirements
MOVE

HOAs tend to be largely ignored by the members, unless they are being fined at the time. Nobody considering a career in public office begins that effort with their local HOA. That means there are few who seek HOA office, and the elections typically have very low turnout.

Your best chance at amending the HOA bylaws to allow a small number of poultry is to get a seat at the table.

Back
Top Bottom