Welp, the HOA was notified

Pics

Dinogrrl

Songster
Aug 17, 2019
North Carolina
Yeah I got a notice today from the HOA about my chickens...after 5 years of owning them. Anyway, long story short, here's yet another thread asking 'has anyone faced their HOA and actually gotten them to back off/change rules/etc?' Any tips?

I am hoping to talk with the board before they start trying to levy fines and whatever, and see if there isn't at least a compromise that we can reach. Especially as one of my hens is chronically ill and is under veterinary care.

Also I love how they're giving me 10 days to 'remove the chickens'...they dated the letter the 9th, didn't mail it until the 11th, and I just got it today, the 16th. So um...10 days from when, exactly? 9_9

I am gonna be the odd duck out.
Tell it like it is.
You KNEW when you got chickens they weren't allowed.
You KNEW it was a matter of time til someone contacted the HOA.
Now it's time to say goodbye, fun while it lasted, so long.
Kiss em goodbye, soup em, stew,sell, give away.
Obey the HOA rules, and try to get those you don't like changed.
We are not entitled to everything we want. I won't live in a HOA, simply because I don't want someone else forcing their ideas/rules on me. This is my property. If I want to paint it purple with red yellow and blue stars flowers whatever, I can.
I'm very sorry you're going thru this. You walked in with your eyes wide open.
Good luck and if you can't get the HOA to change its rules/regulations/requirements
MOVE

The sick hen won't heal, it's a chronic condition that requires medical intervention periodically, or a very expensive surgery.

The original reason I got my chickens was because of my food allergies, so that I could have a safe source of eggs for myself.
You could ask to file an appeal for a medical variance…and get a doctors note explaining your extensive food allergies. Suggest that they limit you to 3-4 hens, and require you to keep them confined at all times, that way you would be able to get enough eggs for your consumption. Might not work, but an appeal will usually buy you time.

Yeah I got a notice today from the HOA about my chickens...after 5 years of owning them. Anyway, long story short, here's yet another thread asking 'has anyone faced their HOA and actually gotten them to back off/change rules/etc?' Any tips?

I am hoping to talk with the board before they start trying to levy fines and whatever, and see if there isn't at least a compromise that we can reach. Especially as one of my hens is chronically ill and is under veterinary care.

Also I love how they're giving me 10 days to 'remove the chickens'...they dated the letter the 9th, didn't mail it until the 11th, and I just got it today, the 16th. So um...10 days from when, exactly? 9_9
I have extended family in HOAs. rarely will u get a rule changed without convincing the board to vote on it. It'll have to be like a little campaign to get what u want done. youd have to convince enough people in ur hoa to get the board to change the rules. HOAs tend to be corrupt and basically misuse the fees and fines to make their lives better. I dont know ur HOA, but i for one wont move into one.

I specifically said in one of my posts to this thread that yes, I knew I was playing with a ticking time bomb and mostly right now I am just angry that my chickens were only a problem after this many years, and also that whoever apparently has a problem with them didn't come to me first.

Anyway, the update is that the HOA board 'can't make exceptions' for the chickens being support for my medical condition (severe food allergies). (Except, you know, for the guy in the first house on the street with a non-functioning car in his driveway, and all the privacy fences that violate the very strict regulations regarding privacy fencing--much stricter than the animal regulations, etc...). Followed by a 'when can we expect you to comply?' and a 'I'm sure a wildlife rescue will be able to take them.' uh-huh.

I was very lucky to find a new home for my healthy hens with someone my parents know. The ill hen may have a home as well but I'm waiting for a final word on that situation, otherwise most likely I will have her euthanized. Not my ideal ending for her, but one that honestly would have come sooner or later even if I had been able to keep her.

So since I can't have my chickens any more because whatever reason they don't want chickens, they will instead get the kitschiest chicken yard art I can find, and lots of it. Gay pride chicken flags, sparkly chicken sculptures, spinny chicken wind discs, whatever I can find, it's going in my yard. Petty revenge mode activate!
And the HOA won't be able to do anything about it because none of it is a 'business sign' and it will be well within the easements on my property.
Also my backyard will now be fully dedicated to my garden/orchard. And no HOA board member will get to have any of the apples or peaches when they come in, so there!

I see you are in NC, so am I. I do know of at least 2 HOAs in my area who in the last couple years have made amendments to their by-laws to allow up to 6 hens but no roosters. So yes it can happen.

I know this because we own investment property on the coast in one of them. I used to be the HOA's secretary. I resigned that position a few years ago. There are members there from all over the country, from all types of backgrounds. Not all HOAs are hard to get along with.

With that said....we never intend to live there! Our property that we live on is NOT in an HOA and our deed has no restrictions.

Also whoever issued that letter to you, may not have all the laws straight themselves. I would think it at least possible that they may have to give you more than 10 days. Many attorneys will talk to you on the phone without cost or for a small fee maybe a short appointment.

Good luck!

I'm sending the HOA a response tomorrow, re: medical issues (for me and the one hen), and some other things. Won't hurt to at least ask for a discussion, I guess.

(Also I always lol about 'property values', this neighborhood was a POS back when it was built 30 years ago. My view is that if you're going to get 'whoops there goes the neighborhood' over less-than-perfectly-manicured lots, you should have gotten a house in a different part of town.)

There is NO WAY they didn't know about the chickens before now. I don't have a privacy fence, you can see into part of my back yard from the road so like...yeah. They knew. They totally knew.
Anyway. Yes, I know full well I was courting danger with the chickens here. I am just baffled and frankly angry that after all this time, someone who isn't even one of my immediate neighbors (who are all fine with the chickens) has decided they don't like them, and didn't come talk to me about it first before turning into a Karen. I have my suspicions on who did it but it doesn't matter in the end.

I did however put a nice padlock on my gate tonight. Just in case.

ETA: The ironic thing is that I DID consider joining the HOA board a few months ago! And then I didn't, because I had other things come up. Guess I should have...

HOAs tend to be largely ignored by the members, unless they are being fined at the time. Nobody considering a career in public office begins that effort with their local HOA. That means there are few who seek HOA office, and the elections typically have very low turnout.

Your best chance at amending the HOA bylaws to allow a small number of poultry is to get a seat at the table.

I'd be tempted just to pay the fines. I hate the idea of folks telling me what I can and cannot do with property I own.

My son lives in a fancy shmancy gated community. He listed some for me when we talked yesterday. Can't park your car in the driveway. Lawn can't be longer than a certain length. All landscaping changes must be approved (like, he can't plant yellow flowers without submitting a request). Garage doors must be an exact shade/sheen of white. Garbage cans can't be visible from the sidewalk and must be put away by 5pm on trash day. No flags (not even US flags, for crying out loud). No bug zappers. They have a list of approved fertilizers you can use if you have a garden in your backyard. No bird houses because birds might get crap on the sidewalk and make noise. Music must not be able to be heard outside of the house. Must purchase a certain color hose for the front yard. No washing cars anywhere in the community.

We had a good laugh about it. He's moving at the end of this month because he hates the HOA. He wants yellow flowers in his front yard.

Back
Top Bottom