Welp, the HOA was notified

By the way... To all those who scold you for living in the HOA neighborhood...

Everyone does!

All municipalities make and change rules, we are all vulnerable to such rules. After I bought my house they decided that the 'minimum' lot size is bigger than my lot (house was built in a century ago, but if anything happens to it, I cannot rebuild it), the zoning of my house has changed so I can no longer use it to have a home office with a sign out front. The types of sanitation allowed has changed several time since I bought it 15yrs ago! I have already changed it twice.

Shame on you for telling a homeowner she isn't home. She pays the bills and maintains it, they can just stay on their side of the fence.

I'm sorry to hear that. Do you know someone outside of your HOA who is allowed to have chickens and can keep yours so you can still get the eggs? Also, is there someone who would be willing to care for the sick hen?

I know I've been blunt, but HOAs typically aren't willing to make exceptions for people because then everyone wants and exception and they can't keep up. I think if you asked for the exception before getting the chickens, maybe they would consider it. But now they found out you've been breaking the rule for 5 years so they might not be as willing to work with you. It's still worth talking to them, but since you have a time limit, it would be worth it to begin trying to find homes for them. Try your state thread on here because people on here might be willing to take in a hen who needs medical attention. Also try craigslist.
what i love about HOA's is after years of something going on asking who reported it. or noticed it. U either got new neighbor that borderes u or u invited someone over than threw u under the bus. or a new board member is really going crazy looking for stuff. before drones theyd have a hard time finding stuff. now its easier for them lol.

Sounds like just the beginning of problems. After 5 years, the HOA likely knew of the birds and turned a blind eye. Someone complained and they had to act. What;s next? House color? Vehicle too old? Grass 1/4" too tall?
Yeah, that's pretty much what they sound like...

At my last rental, the agent showing us the place (he happened to live 1 street away from the unit) warned us that that particular HOA was really hardcore about people having garden hoses without nozzles, of all things. :confused: That was our welcome to the community.

The CC&Rs should mention chickens. If they don’t, that rather implies there are no rules. If it does, then you don’t really have a case and need to negotiate for time.

When we lived in an HOA, I joined the board so I could have a say as to what rules were enforced and what changes to make.

If enough people say they are okay with changing the rule then the board should be willing to change it. You might try a petition after first asking for an extension.

Yeah I live on the outskirts of a major city and finding a house that isn't under an HOA rule is basically impossible. My job is not one that can be done remotely so my choices on where to live are limited.

Finding it 'interesting' that I've been cited for violation of the chickens...but not the very obvious fact that my grass is overgrown. HMMM.
I'm just being salty at this point, waiting to hear back from the board, and planning my next petty passive-aggressive moves should/when I have to evict my flock.

Yeah I live on the outskirts of a major city and finding a house that isn't under an HOA rule is basically impossible. My job is not one that can be done remotely so my choices on where to live are limited.

Finding it 'interesting' that I've been cited for violation of the chickens...but not the very obvious fact that my grass is overgrown. HMMM.
I'm just being salty at this point, waiting to hear back from the board, and planning my next petty passive-aggressive moves should/when I have to evict my flock.
To give you some hope:. There was a community of chicken lovers in Wisconsin about 20 years ago. Their municipality didn't make it illegal to raise the birds but did make the construction of coops illegal. Still the people raised the birds in secret and promoted advocacy for them. Eventually they convinced them to allow 4 birds per household by purchase of an annual 6 dollar permit. Rules can be changed and exceptions can be made.
As far as being passive aggressive if they don't give you an exception I'd slaughter and dress down the birds in the front yard for the whole neighborhood to see and leave the heads in the street with a sign that said "happy now?" But then again if I was in your shoes I'd be pretty ticked off. :rolleyes:

I'm sending the HOA a response tomorrow, re: medical issues (for me and the one hen), and some other things. Won't hurt to at least ask for a discussion, I guess.

(Also I always lol about 'property values', this neighborhood was a POS back when it was built 30 years ago. My view is that if you're going to get 'whoops there goes the neighborhood' over less-than-perfectly-manicured lots, you should have gotten a house in a different part of town.)

There is NO WAY they didn't know about the chickens before now. I don't have a privacy fence, you can see into part of my back yard from the road so like...yeah. They knew. They totally knew.
Anyway. Yes, I know full well I was courting danger with the chickens here. I am just baffled and frankly angry that after all this time, someone who isn't even one of my immediate neighbors (who are all fine with the chickens) has decided they don't like them, and didn't come talk to me about it first before turning into a Karen. I have my suspicions on who did it but it doesn't matter in the end.

I did however put a nice padlock on my gate tonight. Just in case.

ETA: The ironic thing is that I DID consider joining the HOA board a few months ago! And then I didn't, because I had other things come up. Guess I should have...
You knowingly broke the rules of the HOA that you had to sign (a legally binding document) when you moved in. Calling someone a “Karen” is baseless here, not to mention derogatory and ridiculous. You are also making assumptions as to who complained, but you really don’t know.

Of course you are frustrated. But, you had 5 years to get involved or get out of the HOA. At least you have had 5 years with the chickens. Maybe you can get an exception or an extension.

I'd be tempted just to pay the fines. I hate the idea of folks telling me what I can and cannot do with property I own.

My son lives in a fancy shmancy gated community. He listed some for me when we talked yesterday. Can't park your car in the driveway. Lawn can't be longer than a certain length. All landscaping changes must be approved (like, he can't plant yellow flowers without submitting a request). Garage doors must be an exact shade/sheen of white. Garbage cans can't be visible from the sidewalk and must be put away by 5pm on trash day. No flags (not even US flags, for crying out loud). No bug zappers. They have a list of approved fertilizers you can use if you have a garden in your backyard. No bird houses because birds might get crap on the sidewalk and make noise. Music must not be able to be heard outside of the house. Must purchase a certain color hose for the front yard. No washing cars anywhere in the community.

We had a good laugh about it. He's moving at the end of this month because he hates the HOA. He wants yellow flowers in his front yard.

Yeah I got a notice today from the HOA about my chickens...after 5 years of owning them. Anyway, long story short, here's yet another thread asking 'has anyone faced their HOA and actually gotten them to back off/change rules/etc?' Any tips?

I am hoping to talk with the board before they start trying to levy fines and whatever, and see if there isn't at least a compromise that we can reach. Especially as one of my hens is chronically ill and is under veterinary care.

Also I love how they're giving me 10 days to 'remove the chickens'...they dated the letter the 9th, didn't mail it until the 11th, and I just got it today, the 16th. So um...10 days from when, exactly?
I had a friend who faced off with the city and won. I think it was the city I'll have to check it may have been the HOA. A neighbor turned her in. She ended up winning and they grandfathered her in for the animals.

Back
Top Bottom