what are the Top bantams breeds??

I've had bantams before, black Rosecombs. They were friendly, did well for several years.

Since I'm starting again I've been looking at the different bantam breeds. I want friendly, heritage-type (breeds true, no designer birds), decent egg rate, tolerant of hot and humid summers here. We also get a LOT of rain, muddy conditions, so clean-legged birds (no Silkies).

Here's my list of bantam possibles that might interest you:
  • Ameraucana
  • Barred Rock
  • Columbian Rock
  • Delaware
  • Dominique
  • Partridge Rock
  • Sussex
I liked Welsummers, too, but keep reading that they're noisy. I don't want to advertise my chickens to two-legged predators.

Barred Rock and Dominique are widely available.

They are the best I've had. Wish they were bigger, then I could stuff a bunch of pea eggs under them. The OEGB hatched the one pea egg, but I had to make a special nest for her to keep the egg under her.

I've heard they are great broodies. In hindsight, I probably should have bought some last year for this year's pea eggs.
Oh, man. My Silkies are great brooders. I got them on a whim, but I'm so glad I have them. I haven't had to brood any myself (other than an injured one). They'll take anything.

I used to use my Orpington to adopt, but she rejected a couple of chicks once. Putting chicks under a mama was stressful. I used to sit in the coop for hours in the dark to make sure the mama would accept the babies. And then I'd get up before dawn and go check on them again. With the Silkies, I just stick the babies under their little fluffy butts and leave them. Their mama instincts are so strong and reliable that I don't worry at all.

Last time, the Silkies went broody in the same box. I just stuck the babies in with them both, and they co-parented.

Oh I am, but want to A figure out the paperwork for shipping from Puerto rico and B they are extreme tropical birds which means I'll have to have pens for our cold winters.

Ah yes, I remember you are still building your pens. Well, good luck, and hope you can get your birds as soon as possible

IMG_8508.jpg
I have 3 sebright hens and a Japanese bantam roo, Buster (@AgnesGray). Buster is absolute kindness incarnate and is the loveliest little soul imaginable - pic from today. He may want to be a hen, though, as he doesn't crow or mate hens. He does help out a LOT with chores and watching your back. AKA following you around.

My girls are great layers and cute as buttons. They are friendly, can fly well, and one tries to fight my LGD german shepherd (who just ignores her). So they're tough!

My favorite bantams are Seramas. They are really cute and friendly, very small and don't need much space, they come in many different colors, great for showing and pets, and they just have great personalities in general.

My favorites are Old English Game bantams, Modern Game bantams, and the crosses they produce. The roosters are so cute with tons of personality, and the hens are very good mothers.

Here is a Moder Game and her babies:

Here is an OEGB and her peachick:
I just got a trio of modern games for my son to do 4-H showmanship for the first time. I’m glad you have enjoyed them! I have hesitated on them because they are all the opposite things from my ideal chicken 😆 But I’ve heard from so many that they are gentle and easier to train, so I caved! My son gets afraid of the flapping and sassy personalities so he’s been hesitant to enjoy them.

B55CEB2C-365C-46D0-BDFF-16A81B801C57.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom