What are you canning now?

My loquat jelly became loquat syrup. I couldn't find a recipe for loquat jelly, so followed the nectarine directions since the fruits are similar in many respects. It's delicious on ice cream, but who wants 20 jars of syrup!!!
barnie.gif

So I just got my canner
celebrate.gif
and plan on making some jellies with my berries once I get some 8 oz. jars
smile.png
My question is : How much do you all sell your jellies, jams, pickles and etc for? ( I live in rural maine, BTW ). I want to can for my family and sell extras from the farm to help cover feed and seed costs. Thanks! Also, Any "unique" jelly ideas that are high in demand?

Quote:
Oooh... you can fix them by recanning them with recipe I posted about 20 pages back, or there is a 'fix' on the directions in the Ball Pectin box!
smile.png
It can be fixed!

Quote:
Okay, I am curious, what is the zuccini candy...it sounds great! and for your tea, do you just dry your chocolate mint, or do you add more herbs?

the zuchinni candy was posted a few pages back:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/harvest/msg090227378092.html?24

I bookmarked the recipe to hopefully try soon. But alas there are NO Zuchinni right now. The one year that I actually want lots of them I get ZERO!
sad.png

It is 105 with a heat index of 116 right now...been that way for over a month. with hardly any rain... crappy year for gardens!

Anybody have a recipe for "can't fail" pepper jelly? I don't really care for jelly and jam so don't have much expertise. Do like hot pepper jelly though and it didn't set up right last year. Peppers are nearly ready.

Going to make it crazy hot with serranos and habeneros. : )

Quote:
Oooh... you can fix them by recanning them with recipe I posted about 20 pages back, or there is a 'fix' on the directions in the Ball Pectin box!
smile.png
It can be fixed!

I bookmarked that one - here it is:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=6593525#p6593525

I ended up dumping everything because I thought I could steam the fruit off of the seed, and it all tasted like grass. How did you get the fruit off of the seed? I could not see me standing there pitting all of those loquats. None of us are that hungry. Well, they might be, but no one offered to do it FOR me.
(I find that I am getting a bit of a 'little red hen' complex.)

Quote:
The one I used was from the certo insert. It was nice and firm. Make sure you give it the full time on rolling boil. I made red and green. I left in all of the pulp. It went quickly.
The only thing I would try to do differently is get mine hotter. The sugar really takes away the heat.

A friend made some pepper jelly with just peppers and sugar and mustard seed, and vinegar. He cooked it down to a paste. Without the pectin it did not jell, but it reminded me of Tiger sauce. I used it in stir fry. I have one jar left that I won't open until I can gather enough peppers together to figure out what he did.
I hope I get peppers this year. I swore off canning for the rest of the summer, but after the "Big Crash" of last month, I am way low on pepper products.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom