What chickens have the best flying ability?

I didn't find a video for sumatra chicken, but together with bantam phoenix chicken they are closest to the red jungefowl of all domesticated breeds I think. at least in terms of flight capabilities. Bantam phoenix, however, and sumatra chicken often escape from the enemy into the treetops, vertical flight is no problem for them.

I have bantam Phoenix and they are decent flyers, I have not seen them go as high as our jungle hen would but then they like to flock better than she did. Our RJF hen was always more anti social. I have read Egyptian Fayoumi are good flyers.

It is said that German Bantam (in German Deutsche Zwerghühner) also like to fly and have similar flight abilities as phoenix chicken. The prerequisite for such flight skills is their body similar to pheasants and a long tail, which helps them in longer flights. But most importantly, their nature...

If you want something that can FLY...Then get a sumatra. The can jump 6 feet into the air with their wings clipped and higher without. My hen,Thalia flew 6 feet in the air,onto a tall fence and then jumped the length of a FOOTBALL FIELD onto a 15 foot pine tree. She jumped down,fine and happy. Phoenixes can fly a great amount too,same with jungle fowl. Sumatras are a nice breed if you work with them from a young age. They'll roost in the trees and they can get away from most ANY predator,since they're directly descended from jungle fowl.
thumbsup.gif
Yes Sumatra are known to have flown from island to island.

Back
Top Bottom