What could be going on with my hen? Weird flesh toned things in her poop

Djgm

Songster
May 9, 2020
Northern NJ
This all started right after Thanksgiving.
She's been isolated since in the ICU, nobody else has anything else like this going on.
First I noticed my Australorp Minnie (she's 2.5 years old) had what I thought was vent gleet. Yellowish/white poo stuck to her bum & her stomach felt super distended, so I brought her in soaked her in warm water for a bit, washed her up, and started doing apple cider vinegar for a few days. She was also lethargic, wasn't really eating, barely drinking as well. Things didn't change much after a few days, so I started to think maybe it was coccidiois, so I then tried Corid. She finally started eating & drinking normally after that, but poop was still sticking, and she had these flesh tone blobs (which ironically almost look like a piece of chicken culet) every now and then in her poop. Had another chicken come down with a respiratory thing, so I called my vet and got lucky he "sees" chickens. I live in Northern NJ, basically NYC suburbs- chickens aren't really common around here, so I was like great, I'll take them both to the Vet. He prescribed Albon suspension for 10 days. She stopped that on New Years, and again, she's no better. Her stomach isn't distended anymore, but I have to wash her bum almost daily still. These flesh toned blobs still are in her poop, I'd say about 3/4 in a day, every other day, they're about the size of a nickle, sometimes they're broken up to smaller pieces. She was always on the lighter side, normally about 4.5 lbs, but she's now down to about 4lbs, and feels like nothing but bones. All of this seemed to have started right after she was done with her hard molt, and I want to help her, or if she's suffering, well... yeah do the humane thing for her. But even with taking her to the vet, she's no better. She's supposed to go back to see the vet on the 17th, but if anyone has a clue what's going on with her, if she's suffering, I'll feel terrible prolonging the inevitable for her. I've brought the blobs to the vet as well, and he was really helpful with, "I've never seen anything like that before, I'm not sure of what it is, and I took care of chickens for years at our local zoo." First he tried to say maybe it was something she regurgitated, but I told him how I found it right next to her poop, and I was 99.9% sure she pooped it out. Maybe you can tell from the pic if I'm correct with that theory. I brought another sample of it to him yesterday, and I'm waiting for a call back to see if the lab he uses can test it.

I should mention, at first her poop was pure water with some white mixed in...she's now pooping a mix of almost normal looking poop & pure water. I've attached a pic of her poop with the blob from tonight, but when I brought her in the house to wash her bum, when she pooped, it was just water.

As for these blobs, they are a thick gelatinous feeling blob, and are always the same shape. If I don't pick them up & they dry out, they dry out looking like dried blood. I'm wondering due to the color if it's eggshell not hardening? She does have grit & oyster shell in the ICU with her...

Has anyone ever seen this before? Any ideas what could be going on?

Attachments

• minnie.jpg
    minnie.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 58
It may be some type of lash egg material from salpingitis. That is inflammation of the oviduct. Does she normally lay eggs?
She was laying right until her hard molt. Would it be stinky if it was lash egg material? This literally has no scent to it whatsoever

I’ve heard a handful of people say lash eggs have a horrid smell, but this is very unusual! Can you think of if they have eaten anything weird?

Back
Top Bottom