What could be going on with my hen? Weird flesh toned things in her poop

I’ve heard a handful of people say lash eggs have a horrid smell, very unusual! Can you think of if they have eaten anything weird?
The ONLY thing I can think of (not allowed to free range in my town, so they only get what I give) I did recently toss scratch into the coop (my girls aren't' the brightest, they need encouragement to scratch around in the coop) and found 1/2 a rat snake in there. Had been dead a while, as it was totally dried out. It's possible she's the one who made it a snack, but I can't say for sure. She's been in ICU since at the very least Nov 27th, so all her food since then is strictly just what I give her, Layena for feed, occasionally grubblies, sunflower seeds, corn, scratch ect.

I don’t think lash eggs necessarily stink. Can you cut one open?
Today she "pooped" a larger blob- this is what it looks like when it's not a solid blob.

Attachments

• minnie today.jpg
    minnie today.jpg
    394.1 KB · Views: 6
I don’t think lash eggs necessarily stink. Can you cut one open?
Heard back from my vet last night. He says there isn't a test to confirm it's a lash egg or not, but will be treating her like it is. I pick up antibiotics today for her, and he also said to limit light as much as I can (try and keep it under 10 hrs max). She's still in ICU in my garage, so that's not a problem.

So, I guess I can confidently say ,if nothing lash eggs don't always stink.

Let us know how she gets along. Glad that you could get help from a vet.
We had to put her down yesterday 😭 she took a turn for the worse the night before and I wasn't going to make her suffer. Poor Minnie looked miserable for the first time. She lost even more weight, and even though her belly stayed distended the whole time, with the weight loss, we started to be able to feel an extremely hard mass in her belly. I'm guessing it was cancer this whole time, and I wound up just treating her symptoms, never really being able to cure her. I'm sending her for a necropsy to see exactly what happened to her, the poor thing.

One positive thing to come out of this, since my regular vet wanted me to wait till Monday to bring her in when I called saying she took a turn, it's time to put her down she's miserable, I called another place, and found a wonderful vet, who specializes in avian/poultry not horribly far from me. A bit pricier, but I will have so much more piece of mind going forward now with her.

Back
Top Bottom