What treat did your chickies get today?

Nada! Am on biz trip, wife probably doesn't know what to give them
2639.png

Today, my chicks got cold watermelon for their afternoon snack. Plus they found plenty of worms after the rain shower. I give them fermented scratch every morning and evening, and a cool afternoon snack when it is very hot outside.I keep frozen treats with kefir, a can of whole unsalted corn, and chopped produce in the freezer to give them when it is hot out, if I don't have something fresh. Sometimes I cook leftover egg whites and chill them to add to their fermented grains. They really went after some cooked, frozen spaghetti squash the other day. I'm growing more just for them, well for me, too.

We give out girls a few dead Mealworms as well as the cast off shells of the growing ones. But today changes all that. Just purchased our first round of Live Mealworms for the girls! We have given them the packaged meallies, but now we are raising live worms for them. We will have to continue to supplement their treats with the packaged ones until we build up their numbers. We have only 50 adults and 1000 larvae that will eventually become adults.
JoAnn is SOOOOoooooo bug creeped out, but the way the hens scramble when we dole them out is changing her phobia.

We give out girls a few dead Mealworms as well as the cast off shells of the growing ones. But today changes all that. Just purchased our first round of Live Mealworms for the girls! We have given them the packaged meallies, but now we are raising live worms for them. We will have to continue to supplement their treats with the packaged ones until we build up their numbers. We have only 50 adults and 1000 larvae that will eventually become adults.
JoAnn is SOOOOoooooo bug creeped out, but the way the hens scramble when we dole them out is changing her phobia.

I'll tell my sister, she says her chickens love mealworms. Mine get plenty of earthworms they find in the yard. I have a vermicomposter, but they do well finding their own.

1/2 a bag of frozen corn off the cob - you would have thought it was crack. It didn't last long enough to thaw out.

Back
Top Bottom