What treat did your chickies get today?

I have 6 chicks (3 RIR and 3 BO) and they are 5 weeks old, I keep their feeder full of starter feed at all times. When I go to check on them which is often. Ill give them a little hand full of either oats, dried Mill worms or a few crickets. I have bearded dragons so if I have Crickets on hand I share. They go nuts with the crickets. The crickets aren't full size only 1/2", they eat them much faster now then when they were only a few weeks old. I make sure they have grit access to help digest all these treats. They are very spoiled. Cant wait to get them outside once the coop and run is built and secured hopefully soon as they are growing fast.
D.gif

We scrape our food leftovers into a "chicken bowl" that is on the counter, and every morning they get yesterday's waste. If there is old fruit or refrigerated leftovers that are getting old (but not bad, just old to the point I won't eat them), they get those too. Today they got an apple, some grapes, half a banana, some wrinkly old blueberries, some mac and cheese, some French fries and a piece of wilted lettuce. Our dinner last night was too yummy to have any leftovers for the chickens (pot stickers and broccoli!).

We have 1 Golden Laced Polish, 1 Easter Egger (gold and black), and 3 Rhode Island Reds (1 since chick-hood, the other two recently adopted). We have 9 chicks as well, but they are inside as they are still very new.

WELL///////// ......LOL.............put a plate of leftover oatmeal, egg in the middle, raisins, spinach leaves, greek yogurt......warmed the oatmeal with the egg first, then added the toppings.......THEN.........got into the car to go to the coop.........DROPPED IT ON MY OTHER SEAT !!!!!
Well, after cleaning it all up, I had enough clumps to go ahead and feed the chickens......but dang.....I may have to clean my seats again....!!
ep.gif

This morning the girls got dish of plain yogurt with raspberries and dry oats sprinkled on top & I tossed bits of eggplant & a tiny butternut squash that was going soft.into their run. Keeping the layer crumble inside the coop due to rain. I am planning to transition them to sprouted grain as a primary food source in the near future, but I'm still teaching them to enjoy real food LOL, they were raised on pellets & cereal, bread, etc. They were skeptical of yogurt and raspberries the first time,
hu.gif
tasting & head shakin' and unsure if was worth eating... now they come-a-runnin' for it
wee.gif

This morning the girls got dish of plain yogurt with raspberries and dry oats sprinkled on top & I tossed bits of eggplant & a tiny butternut squash that was going soft.into their run. Keeping the layer crumble inside the coop due to rain. I am planning to transition them to sprouted grain as a primary food source in the near future, but I'm still teaching them to enjoy real food LOL, they were raised on pellets & cereal, bread, etc. They were skeptical of yogurt and raspberries the first time,
hu.gif
tasting & head shakin' and unsure if was worth eating... now they come-a-runnin' for it
wee.gif
I hung a small head of cabbage in my run..t.....do you think they liked it???.....heck no, you would have thought I had put a bomb in there! Its been there 3 days and still not touched! They love spinach, cut or torn lettuce leaves, etc, they just don't like change... Mine like yours, are just slow about trying anything but like yours.....they then dive in and are so funny.
lau.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom