What treat did your chickies get today?

Thought we were the only ones who shop or harvest first run stuff for our girls…rather than just left overs.

Actually that is all leftovers, it's all "day old - expired" or the "not looking perfect" stuff from a local produce store, I get it for free...

Be careful on the citrus, they are on the no no lists.

Citrus is not really a no-no it's more so a give in moderation treat...

I'm always the OCD mother hen, and wouldn't treat with anything potentially harmful even in small amts.
big_smile.png

D.gif
I really do spoil these girls, I am told, and today they got a whole cabbage suspended on a string which they love to peck and run and peck and run. I guess it's a great game!! Oh and oats tonight a couple eat them out of my hand which is fun for both of us!

Mine love plain yogurt, so most days I put a few heaping tablespoons of yogurt on a plate and cut up a little fruit, some grapes, strawberries or bananas, or whatever I've bought for myself recently, and top it all off by sprinkling either sunflower seeds or chia seeds all over it all.
They all coming running when I go outside, calling, a Chick! chick! Because they know I'll have a treat. Also, I recently had a few cans of tuna in water that were about to get near their best used by date. So I gave them to the chickens. On one cool, wet day, I even heated the tuna in water a little bit to give them something warm in their crop.
Giving them treats and watching them devour it is one of the most fun parts of having chickens!

I am puzzled ....my birds wouldn't eat greens, grapes, warm oatmeal or cabbage. Today they are ignoring the turkey carcass that has lots of meat on it. They do love when I throw them bits of meat......so what is up with that? They are not overly fond of fermented feed either. Some of these things they will eat over a days time....but they don't just grab it up. Maybe I am feeding them too much?

Mine got all natural suet in a cage that has meal worms black, sunflower seeds and crickets in it. I hung this in their run along with a larger suet cage filled with fresh cabbage, other greens and apple peels. They can come along and peck at will.

Last edited:
I am puzzled ....my birds wouldn't eat greens, grapes, warm oatmeal or cabbage. Today they are ignoring the turkey carcass that has lots of meat on it. They do love when I throw them bits of meat......so what is up with that? They are not overly fond of fermented feed either. Some of these things they will eat over a days time....but they don't just grab it up. Maybe I am feeding them too much?
All birds are different and like different things but excess treats are not always the best for them. Try to give treats only once or twice a week... don't give them regular feed or scratch at the same time. Reg feed or scratch in the morning, then treats in the afternoon or the other way around. Try taking some of those treats and mix them up with oatmeal, feed dust, cayenne pepper, DE, chopped greens and whatever else and bake them into muffins or add plain yogurt and freeze them into muffins or loaves. My chickens love these treats.

Back
Top Bottom