What treat did your chickies get today?

I'm currently working on cleaning out the fridge, so there's going to be a lot of variety today.

< 1 week olds, no treats
3 week old bantams: chopped pea shoots, parsley, heart of romaine, sesame seeds
3 week old chicks: pomegranates, chopped pea shoots, halved romaine heads, sesame seeds
Pullets: leftovers, wrinkly apples, chopped jalapenos, cucumber halves, beets, cranberries, chopped hard boiled eggs, carrots, asparagus

Today my 6 younger chickens (8-12 wks old) got to help me weeding the garden and plant melons and pumkins so any worms or grubs that were dug up were a free for all. My (13) 20 wks old got left overs from the kiddos picnic plates yesterday as well as a,small left over piece of carrot cake with Cream cheese frosting which they loved

Yesterday they got a 32 gallon garbage can full of just coriander/cilantro and by their reaction today when I went out to the coop, they were certainly burnt out on that and ready for something else..

So today they got, some romaine hearts, cauliflower, spinach, salad greens, grapes, misc 'farmers cheeses' and some yogurt, they seem much happier now...

Last edited:
Not exactly a treat but warm water and open waterers.

This morning their nipple waterer was completely frozen over so I took it inside to melt away the ice from the bucket and nipples with hot water and filled it back up (with cold) and then I also filled a small tupperware with cold water too in case the nipples froze again.

Then just now I checked the nipples and they weren't frozen but the open one had a tiny bit of slush in it. Not frozen but I decided to spoil them.

I have never ever ever given them warm water because it freezes faster but have heard some like to or like to heat the water to take the chill off so I decided to this time. The first 2 birds were like "oh.. it's warm.." like not expecting it but then they stuck their heads back in and drank more. Then my Barred Rock stuck her head out from under the coop and drank and drank and drank. They have been under the coop for hours as it is snowing here. Poor things. She LOVED the warm water. I think they all did. Plus being under there for so long with no water. I just hope she doesn't get frostbite as she has large wattles and one or two of my others have a teeny bit of frostbite on the comb. Her wattles I think were touching the water to drink. But they loved the warmth. My birds are lazy. They figured out the nipples in minutes but whenever they have a chance to drink from an open water source, even a disgusting mud poo puddle in the run, they do. Especially my Easter Egger, Diva. She is the one that did that mud puddle thing. She even flies on top of the waterer and drinks from the little pockets in the lid. And when they are our, there was a tupperware container once near the run filled first with rain water and grossness then i refilled it and a couple days when i let her out she went straight for it which is why i filled it. Lazy birds. LOL but they will drink out of the nipples. They don't go thirsty. But when there is an "easier" way they takr it. In quotes because I really don't think flying on top of the water to drink is easier than just using the **** nipples but hey, to each their own. LOL

Where are you located? I am in the Hudson Valley and we got snow over night as well.
I'm in southern NH, east of Manchester. We got a little more snow today. Gotta love New England weather. Play golf on Monday, ice hockey on Wednesday, then mow the lawn on Friday. I think the last time I was in the Hudson Valley we were following the wine trail. Beautiful area.

Back
Top Bottom