When to put kids and doe with the herd?

Chicken5555

Songster
Apr 10, 2016
somewhere in the Southern USA
Hello. My Nigerian Dwarf doe gave birth to twins two weeks ago. I read on a website that the babies (with their mother of course) can be put with the herd. Is this correct?

My herd consists:
< 1 year old Nigerian Dwarf x Boer junior doe
2 year old Nigerian Dwarf x Fainting goat doe
3 year old Pygmy doe
< 1 yr old twin Nigerian junior does
< 1 yr old Nigerian junior doe
< 1 yr old Nigerian Buck (not related to the kids)
two Nigerian babies

The 2 and 3 year old does and the boer x nigerian cross have all rammed the stall wall when the babies got close to it. I worry that one of them might hurt the kids. Also, their mother is polled and is the lowest ranking goat in the herd, even lower than the youngest Junior Doe that is smaller than her.

When should I put the babies and their mother out with their herd? I don't want the big girls hurting them. Thanks.

I keep my momma and babies in my herd i never separate them I just don't keep a male with my does unless I'm breeding and then doe goes into his pen so I don't have any small young does getting breed

Last edited:
I keep my momma and babies in my herd i never separate them I just don't keep a male with my does unless I'm breeding and then doe goes into his pen so I don't have any small young does getting breed

Thank you for your advice. I'll distract everyone with a treat, then bring out the momma and her kids. I am SO NERVOUS about the two year old doe possibly going after the babies- she is so rough when head butting.

Back
Top Bottom