Which Breed of Goat to Get???

For a milking doe which breed would you recommend/choose?

• Nubians

• Nigerian Dwarfs

• La Manchas

• Mini Nubians

Results are only viewable after voting.
I currently have a herd of Nigerian Dwarves. I also had a Mini Nubian but I sold her. I prefer the Nigerians but I think either is a good choice. However, there are huge variations within the breeds.

If milk is a big factor for you, you need to be particular about where you get your goats. One of my first goats I purchased produces about 1 quart per milking. Her granddaughter produces over 2 quarts per milking. These are estimates as I use a milking machine but that's a big difference. And that's just two generations of being paired with a higher quality buck. Start with the best does you can afford.

Speaking of bucks, you'll need to rent one or own one to get milk. If you plan to rent one, make sure there are good prospects in your area for the breed you want beforehand. You could mix breeds if you plan to butcher the kids or sell them super cheap, but under no circumstances should you pair a full-size breed buck to a Nigerian Dwarf doe.

Do these look like good genetics? She is 400$.
Screenshot 2024-02-13 6.04.23 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-02-13 6.04.29 PM.png

I really want a goat, but I'm having some trouble choosing a certain breed of goat.
I want a goat that is NOT loud, friendly, and a good milker.
MILK: (range) 1-2 quarts and up to a gallon.
Thank You!!!
Look into LaManchas. They generally have a nice quiet disposition and are good milkers. Whatever you do, do not get one goat. Goats need a companion.

Do these look like good genetics? She is 400$.
View attachment 3747231View attachment 3747232
Is that the dam’s dam or sire’s dam pictured? If the DD was milk-tested she didn’t produce enough to be a star milker (but she had relatively good conformation to be a Champion when shown), whereas the SD did earn her *M (and other showing accolades).

I’d be on the fence, myself; the doeling when photographed didn’t have much width in front, and she’s probably matured a lot since spring 2023.

If you are just looking for a milker I do like the doeling. Heaven's Hollow overall has great goats. You could ask for an updated picature of her. She's a nice age to breed. Not sure where you are located but you may want to consider a kid(s) from Heaven's Hollow they are kidding soon and are a really good price for the quality you get and they do milk tests so you can see how much they make. I have a doeling for Edge of Love and she is wonderful.
I don't like the second option as much... cheap price tag and horned buckling. But if you want you could ask for a picature of her udder full. Make sure to ask if they are tested for at least CAE.

Is that the dam’s dam or sire’s dam pictured? If the DD was milk-tested she didn’t produce enough to be a star milker (but she had relatively good conformation to be a Champion when shown), whereas the SD did earn her *M (and other showing accolades).

I’d be on the fence, myself; the doeling when photographed didn’t have much width in front, and she’s probably matured a lot since spring 2023.
I think the sire's dam???
Here is the website:
awranch.org/nigerian-dwarf-goats

Back
Top Bottom