White Leghorn, the forgotten breed

I never wanted white chickens. I never wanted white egg layers. I bought two Lakenvelders from a BYCer downsizing her flock, and they were great layers. Plus, they weren't white chickens. And that white egg really set off the colored ones in the cartons I sold to my few egg customers.

Then I got a Delaware. Mostly white. Great layer, great personality. Not white eggs, which was nice.

And then I got a feather up my butt, so to speak, and decided I wanted to incubate some refrigerated store eggs from Trader Joe's. Fertile eggs. Had to try that experiment. Accomplished it for Mahonri's Annual New Year's Day Hatch.
41679_traderjoefertilecarton.jpg

Four hatched: 3 pullets and a cockerel.

Gosh, they are pretty birds! And because I am brooding them in the bathroom with other chicks, they are growing up pretty friendly. I can hardly wait to add them to the flock.

And yes, I am looking forward to their white eggs.

White Leghorns are hardly "forgotten" breed, that what commercial egg farms around the world use to produce white eggs.

There are reasons why they are not very popular among backyard flock keepers:

Egg color preference is one of them, but more important Leghorns are nervous and flighty, also being pure white they are more prone to fall prey to predators.

Friend of mine living on 5 acres has over 200 all kind domestic birds, mostly chickens.

She never eats them, keeps them until they die naturally or accidentaly.

She started years ago with California Whites, (90% Leghorn genes and appearance) Black Sex links, RIR's then she added more breeds and colors over the years.

Today some of the originals are still alive, they are 7+ years old, but none of the white birds. They are long gone (predators).

But I like Leghorns productivity and performance, will get some Brown Leghorns this spring.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
Plus the little male ain't worth feeding except as breeders.......they eat more and lucky to have any meat on their bones.

For sure not the forgot breed, only chicken produce more would be the cornish X rock , not sure which is more , but guess white leghorn is 2nd of all chicken bred.

Bargain, your birds are lovely!
My one experience with WL's was my Easter chick, McNugget. Some teenagers brought in this dyed-pink 'wild animal' they found in the road, to our clinic. The receptionist knew the wildlife people wouldn't take it, but that I am a supreme sucker. He grew into a beautiful white roo, my first roo ever. I loved to hear him crow. Got him a barred rock girlfriend and they had the run of my 36x36' pen. Unfortunately, he enjoyed fence fighting with my pit. One day, she pulled him through the fence while I was mowing. He was a little too full of himself
sad.png

But yours are gorgeous, just like all of your birds. Thanks for sharing!

We did what Gryeyes did.
Here are our 12 that hatched Feb. 9.
We now have more White Leghorns than any other breed lol.
The plan is to keep at least 3 hens (think we got 5 or 6) for laying, (maybe) save the biggest roo for breeding, and rehome/eat the other roos.

70052_0219110908.jpg

I had production Leghorns for a couple of years. About 200 of them. I really had to work hard at the farmer's market to tell people they were not supermarket eggs. I really liked them. After they tried them they were hooked but brown eggs sell a lot easier!! I do also have a show strain of them. They are not big producers but I have won a lot with them. Leghorns are still strong at shows!! This rooster is one that has done real well for me

80924_copy_of_2009_0812chickens0003.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Yea, it is an uphill battle. General public is so stupid and dumb they will associate all white eggs with supermarket eggs.

Brown eggs would be just as lame and tasteless as white eggs if the chickens would be kept in cages and fed sh*t like supermarket eggs are.

Also I want to add that current hopla about Marans and Welsummers would never happen if the true old fasioned RIR's were still a common breed.

They (true RIR's) lay dark brown eggs and much more of them than average Welsummers and Marans. LOL

Taste of the egg is about 90 % of what you feed your birds, perhaps 10% or less what color of shell or bird plumage is.

But 99% of the public buying eggs are not aware of it.

Also most newcomers on this board are mislead thinking Marans or other "dark eggs" breed will give them a superior tasting egg just cause they are a certain breed.

LOL

Leghorns can be rather attractive in form and feather,especially those bred to standard.The White shell eggs are just as tasty as any other when the birds are fed right or have free range.The Brown egg is a white egg with a thin brown deposit on the outside of the shell.Take a piece of sand paper and you should be able to sand off the brown surface and get a white egg.Many decades ago the brown egg layers, had some Leghorn blood added to improve egg laying ability.

Quote:
"Many decades ago the brown egg layers, had some Leghorn blood added to improve egg laying ability."

I do not know about many years ago, seems that hatcheries are diluting brown egg layers (RIR's) genes with white Leghorns blood NOW creating all those Production Reds or "sex link" breeds which are good for a season or two as a egglayers, then you can donate them to your local humane society or Chinese Restaurant, since there is not much meat on them.

LOL

Back
Top Bottom