White Leghorn, the forgotten breed

Quote:
"Many decades ago the brown egg layers, had some Leghorn blood added to improve egg laying ability."

I do not know about many years ago, seems that hatcheries are diluting brown egg layers (RIR's) genes with white Leghorns blood NOW creating all those Production Reds or "sex link" breeds which are good for a season or two as a egglayers, then you can donate them to your local humane society or Chinese Restaurant, since there is not much meat on them.

LOL

Don't forget barred rocks, that is a reason for a more of a cuckoo color
nice leghorns BTW

Last edited:
My very first 2 hens were hatchery/feed store white Leghorns. Hanky & Panky were the darlings of the neighborhood, next thing you know everyone has chickens in S. Austin, TX. Those girls were friendly as could be, thought quick to startle. They mostly free ranged, visited everyone and never passed up a handout.

The pics in this thread could put them to shame though! Lovely birds!

ETA - that was almost 19 years ago.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
your Roo is So handsome! My best egg later ever was Miss Prissy, a white leghorn. Unfortunately, a hawk got her. I'm looking to get more white leghorns. I'm going to be incubating soon. Maybe a few leghorns? with the Sumatra eggs.

I'll be glad to help you with eggs, if you like, just pm me and have a blessed day! Farmer Nancy

I bought two young White Leghorn hens yesterday at the local sale and both of them laid in the cage I had them in before I got home with them. I put them with my Pumpkin Hulsey pair and didnt get any eggs today but hopefully when they get used to the new home they will start back up again.

Last edited:
I like my Leggerns (yes, I know how it's really spelled). They produce more eggs on less feed and under all conditions than any other breed I've ever kept.

There is a prejudice against white eggs to be sure, but it can be overcome.

I don't have a good shot of the girls but here's one of a couple of the boys in the rooster pen I took the other day. The colored ones are ISA Brown boys.

2011-08-06%25252018.17.28.jpg

Back
Top Bottom