Who else is waiting for that first egg?

I still have to wait five months
barnie.gif
!!!

If you put a golf ball in their nest it encourages them. When mine first started, one lauded an egg and the others saw and that payed eggs too. They just need to see what they need to do so the golf ball will make them realize that the nest is there for laying eggs. It really does work.
1f414.png

If your hen is being broody, (mine do it all the time) you need to put it in a cage or something with nothing they can nest on, like a hard surface. Keep them in there for a few days and they won't do it anymore. We tried this with ours multiple times and each time it worked. I hate it when hens are broody because you don't get any eggs from broody hens!:(

15 weeks old - 2 black sex-links, 2 red sex-links, 1 white rock, 1 RI white, 1 RI red, and 1 EE. Thinking two months more. Can't wait!

I already have a flock with a Jersey giant, Dutch bantam, red sex-link, and RI red and RI white. Getting one to three eggs daily from the 5 girls. The new girls should make it a nice 1/2 dozen a day, I'm thinking. Should be a nice looking basket with all the variations.

I need some pics of the new girls.

If you put a golf ball in their nest it encourages them. When mine first started, one lauded an egg and the others saw and that payed eggs too. They just need to see what they need to do so the golf ball will make them realize that the nest is there for laying eggs. It really does work.
1f414.png
we have golf balls in the nest and they are laying their eggs on the floor.

Last edited:
we have golf balls in the nest and they are laying their eggs on the floor.

It takes time and a little practice for some of them to get the hang of things. One other thing to do is to consider whether there are things contributing to the nest boxes being unappealing to them as it is not *just* about using bait (golf balls). How long have your birds been laying and can you share a bit more about the coop, nest boxes, etc - possibly include a photo or two? Have they been seen to be investigating the nest boxes?

It takes time and a little practice for some of them to get the hang of things.  One other thing to do is to consider whether there are things contributing to the nest boxes being unappealing to them as it is not *just* about using bait (golf balls).  How long have your birds been laying and can you share a bit more about the coop, nest boxes, etc - possibly include a photo or two?   Have they been seen to be investigating the nest boxes?
we got our nesting boxes from Murrays online..6 of them and they lay in them all the time..i think you may be right it will take time.

Back
Top Bottom