Who's setting with me Sept 1st-4th?

Way to go Kanga!!
ya.gif
Can't wait to see the pics! I love seeing the chicks with mom. Haven't had the set-up to do that here yet. But I am building a separate spot for my Silkies, where I can let the moms hatch out and raise a few clutches next year.

My wife who was due friday woke me up at 3am(she couldnt sleep) and let me know she could hear noises and chirping in the other room, so we went and looked. I have 15 eggs, There were two eggs moving, one being an easter egger? blue/green so i was excited. The easter egger busted out really fast and is scooting around the bator like a mad man, its so cute!

This is my first time hatching and i thought id share my little story, now to set up the brooder,,,,,,,,wish my actual daughter would arrive as fast as that first chick!

Last edited:
I took a few pictures last night of my babies. I'll take a few more later with the 2 added from last night! The third baby to hatch hopped in my hand and fell asleep! The last two to hatch (I'm not sure if there will be any more hatches, but we will wait and see!) one is yellow the other is black and they both have feathers on their legs and feet!!!!

Congratulations, Animalsroc! They're adorable. Momma is being protective, and I haven't been able to get any good pictures. My kids are thrilled. I think we got a good mix of easter eggers and some barred rocks. There's a very pretty rust colored one that I'm praying is a pullet. We've started processing the roosters that we hatch. It's made for a rewarding couple of months. :)

Congratulations, Animalsroc! They're adorable. Momma is being protective, and I haven't been able to get any good pictures. My kids are thrilled. I think we got a good mix of easter eggers and some barred rocks. There's a very pretty rust colored one that I'm praying is a pullet. We've started processing the roosters that we hatch. It's made for a rewarding couple of months. :)
Thanks!!!

Well hopefully she will let you get pics soon! I can't wait to see them :)

My dad does the same thing... We just started raising our own chicken. It's kind of sucky if you really think about, however I'd rather raise m own, spoil them greatly, and know that they had a wonderful life instead of supporting the cruelty that happens with commercial chicken... If we ended up selling the roos they would just end up in someone else's freezer so...

We are gonna see if the roos that we hatch are big enough, if they end up small like their dad is we will just find new homes for them, people around here really like small roos for their flock for some reason lol

Here are individual pictures of the 5 babies:

Chick # 4 ( the one I helped)

Chick #5

Chick # 3

Chick #2

Chick #1

I'm on day 21...I candled on day 14 and had 2 definite and 2 maybe eggs....well I just got home to a wet little chick in the incubator and another egg pipped...It looks like the "maybe's" didn't make it. This is my first hatch and I have a silly question....how long before I need to put them in the brooder?

Back
Top Bottom