Why do you guys give your chickens apple cider vinegar?

I picked some Bragg Organic raw ACV up at Giant food store in the organic foods section. I know Shop Rite food stores as well as Wegmans also carry it. You can probably find it at any major grocery store with a natural or organic food section. I think I've heard that GNC stores carry it as well but I'm positive.

I'm adding between 1-1/2 tablespoons per gallon of water for the girls.

Last edited:
We buy our chicken ACV from horse feed stores here in Australia. The stuff you buy for human consumption in supermarkets and stores here is no good for birds.

I buy it in 5 litre containers for about $27.00. That's about 1.32 US Gallons for y'all in the States. For some really healthy birds, especially in the winter time, if you're going to the horse feed store, buy some Cod Liver Oil and mix that (about a dessert spoonful for about 5 birds) in with their mash at least 5 days a week. Apart from providing the vitamin D that they aren't getting from the sun during the winter months, their feathers will glow with health.

G'Day from Australia.

Linz
smile.png

The ACV that is raw and unfiltered with the "mother" in it is what works for humans. Whenever my acid reflux flares it is the only thing that provides me any relief. There may be other hunam benefits but I can't attest to any of the others.
Keith

Quote:
Is that because they only sell the pasteurized and filtered ACV in your supermarkets? Here, most grocery stores sell the pasteurized and filtered ACV, but some also sell the raw and unfiltered ACV.

ACV + hot water + a bit of honey in a large mug will clear up human urinary tract infections...four generations of women in my family have used it.
In the heat of Summer chickens will pant (along with the rest of us) and that will change their Ph balance. ACV in their water helps their body chemistry realign to normal levels which helps with egg production.

Hi Linz

Quote:
The ACV sold in American supermarkets is fine for birds. I've never even seen special ACV for chickens in the feed stores here. I can buy a gallon of Braggs for $18 and other brands (also raw and with the probiotic culture) much cheaper on amazon or at Trader Joe's or super cheap at the Ocean State Job Lot when they have it.

Quote:
This is an excellent idea. I'm going to try it.

Haemony, it must be my Australian way of writing. I didn't mean that there was special ACV for chickens at feed stores, I meant we use the horse stuff. I also put a dessertspoonful of (horse) seaweed meal in with their mash every day. Trace elements and vitamins straight from the ocean.

I get a lot of stuff for my birds at horse focussed feed stores.

Linz
smile.png

What about homemade raw Apple Cider Vinegar?
I use organic apples to make it, and don't filter it or process it. It is a lot cheaper than Bragg's, and pretty easy to make - especially with all the apple pies I have to make in the next few weeks.

m.kitchengirl :

What about homemade raw Apple Cider Vinegar?
I use organic apples to make it, and don't filter it or process it. It is a lot cheaper than Bragg's, and pretty easy to make - especially with all the apple pies I have to make in the next few weeks.

It will work the same as the store bought stuff.

Chris​

Back
Top Bottom