Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

good morning,
I am going to put a few bales into the green house today, I could have done it yesterday, but I didn't think of it until after I put the tractor (Ollie) away..

I hope to have the new feeder assembled by tonight.
then I have to go to the feedmill and pick up a couple of bags of feed to test it with.

.Meet Ollie. For you who don't know.;.
Ollie is an Oliver 55 tractor; built in 1955..
this picture is of him right after I did a complete tear down and overhaul.
I have since put on the front loader and the rest of the metal hood etc..
Now you know who I am talking about when I mention Ollie.
I also have an army buddy called Ollie, but I don't mention him on byc.

It is OK to research chickens. but you can over research and eventually run out of time to actually get some.
All the ailments you read about don't all happen to each chicken. and they don't happen all that often.
with any livestock, there is dead stock.
If you cannot handle this, then don't get into chickens.

Jim, you gave me a start, I didn't remember posting that .
then I read on and realized now there are two of us Jims here.
I go by ........... jiminwisc ............

Sorry about the start Jiminwisc. At least we know the ole ticker is working. Hahaha

I'm heading to pick up my Underwood RIR cockerel and Langshan cockerel today. I may get some chicks while I'm there. I need to make the long drive worth it, don't I?

Sorry about the start Jiminwisc. At least we know the ole ticker is working. Hahaha

I'm heading to pick up my Underwood RIR cockerel and Langshan cockerel today. I may get some chicks while I'm there. I need to make the long drive worth it, don't I?

It sounds like you have plenty of room for lots of chickens.
I do too. I have 9 acres. but I use only about 2 of them, the rest is planted to hay and about 2 acres of wooded river flood plain.

I guess I am not considered a BYCer. but I like this chzhed site and the people here.

I butcher about 100 chickens each year, and I build electric chicken pluckers. I use them until I sell them, then I build another one. I follow the Whizbang style of plucker.
Only I have made several improvements over the original plans.

have fun on your excursion ..

..........jiminwisc,,,,,,,.

Hi All-

So I'm the new kid here... and I hope this is ok to do... But I am writing a research paper on- you guessed it- CHICKENS and would love it if a few fellow Wisconsinites could take a few minutes to answer a some general questions. Nothing Earth shattering, just a few areas of my paper that would benefit from a wide range of responses. I know the BYC website and this forum cover these topics in depth, but I am curious to see what my fellow WISCONSIN residents have to say. :) Also, my paper requires that I generate my survey questions and compile responses myself.

This little survey is geared for what I assume to be the traditional backyard chicken keeper (under 10-ish birds), and not so much farm/large flock settings. I will be summarizing your responses in my paper and will not include any identifying information. Write as little or as much as you want!

THANK-YOU in advance to those who participate, and please let me know if this not appropriate for this board and I will promptly remove it.

D.gif

1. How many, and what breeds do you own? Any roosters?

2. How did you decide those on breeds?

3. How is your coop and run set up? Would you change anything if you could? Feel free to send a picture!

4. Do you allow for free range or foraging time? If so, how is that space defined?

5. How do you winterize your coop/run?

6. What are the best tips to save time/money on maintaining your flock?

7. How do you handle medical care for sick or injured birds? At what point do you see a vet or euthanize?

8. Do you have dogs or cats as well? Any issues with pet vs. chicken attacks?

9. Do you know the zoning restrictions on chickens for your county or town? Did you have to fight to be allowed to keep poultry?

10. What is the hardest thing about keeping chickens that people may not be aware of?

Thanks for your time!
yesss.gif

.since I have a lot of chickens and too many acres, I won't answer any of the survey questions.

well, I am back from the feed mill. things didn't go hardly as I had planned.
First off, The cafe is closed on Saturdays. so no ciapata sandwich for me.
I ended up buying a bag of chick starter . I had to do that because I bought 7 buff Orpington and 5 barred rock pullets. they are only a couple of days old. I put them into one of the brooder pens inside the main chicken coop.

I stopped at Curt & Jo's for lunch. A Pattie Melt, fries and a Point root beer on tap.

Annie found another nest, It had 7 eggs in it.. and the goose laid an egg in the chicken yard.

.....jiminwisc........

Last edited:
Early Evening to all....Welcome to the new folks, and no problem steph with the survey. I'm like Jim and have more than 10 birds, but will answer some questions later.
Congrats on the hatch Irish....

My puter is having fits right now.

Where did you acquire your orps Jim?

Glad you had a safe vacation bl4!

bigz

Hello! Is this the official WI thread? Or is there another that I'm not seeing? I found this thread through a link in another thread so hopefully I'm not barging in!! I've been a career lurker on the site for about a year but just recently joined in on the fun!

Well, I'm new to the forum (obviously...) Live in New Richmond, WI and will be starting a small flock next spring. I've never kept chickens before so I'm neck deep in researching breeds and coop designs.

So, any tips for a newbie?? :jumpy I'm sure I'll have tons of questions as I go! Thx!

I'm in Amery! So is Angiebubs. I do the ordering for Countryside cooperative. If you are getting hatchery birds (and don't want 25) I can order whatever you want next spring.

Back
Top Bottom