Your top 5 breeds for temperament

Cyneswith

Songster
Jun 14, 2017
Camden, SC
Looking to make a flock of dual purpose laying hens with a Faverolle rooster, and having small kids, temperament is key. Want decent to excellent layers, no opposition to any egg colors. Given availability, I may not be able to get the exact mix I want, so I want to have other varieties in mind. I want as wide a variety as possible in my flock of 8. Ordering day old chicks from MPC.

Top contenders:
Orpingtons (Buff and Lavender)
Faverolle
Speckled Sussex
Marans (Splash)
Wyandotte (SL or BLR)

Oh, also considering Brahmas. Or as my son calls them, bear chickens. Do they do well in a mixed flock?

X2 very mellow birds and the feathered feet amuse me. Mine are even trained to stand up in the nest box so I can collect the eggs. Usually just takes a light tap on their body. I have the light color variation

I've had both buff orpington's and speckled sussex. The BO's are sweet, mellow birds. They are prone to going broody, so if you want to hatch eggs, that 's a good thing. If not, it may be a drawback. While I love my BOs, the SS are my favorites. They have more personality and have proven hardier as they've aged. They follow me around the yard, "talking" to me, as I do my chores. They get more and more gorgeous with each molt.

ETA: The BO are, in their first couple of years, more prolific layers and lay larger eggs. The SS lay smaller eggs, but at least in my limited experience, lay better as they age. All but one of my BO stopped laying anything but a few eggs after 2 seasons.

X3 on Brahmas they are great, have them in my mixed flock and even my roo is a gentleman. I also like Orpingtons. I too would not necessarily recommend Wyandottes...lovely great layers but mine do not like to be touched...lol. They are not mean just not a lovey dovey breed, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom