4 Cups milk
Pinch of ground cloves
1/2 Teaspoon + 2 Teaspoons vanilla extract
1 Teaspoon ground cinnamon
18 egg yolks
1 1/2 Cups sugar
4 cups half & half
1/2 Teaspoon ground nutmeg
Note: Scramble the egg whites and feed them back to your chickens!
1. Combine milk, cloves, 1/2 Teaspoon vanilla and cinnamon in a large saucepan. Heat at medium heat and slowly bring to a boil; stir continuously.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine egg yolks and sugar. Beat together until sugar is dissolved and mixture is frothy.
3. Slowly whisk hot milk mixture into the bowl with the yolks (this heats up the yolks without scrambling them).
4. Pour mixture back into large saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat, stir constantly for 6-7 minutes, or until thick. Do not allow mixture to boil.
5. Pour hot mixture back into mixing bowl and let cool for about 1 hour.
6. Stir in half & half, 2 Teaspoons vanilla and nutmeg.
7. Refrigerate overnight before serving. Stir before serving.
Makes 1/2 gallon
Note: This makes a delicious coffee creamer!