The final product looks more like a child's toy box than a chickens home, but the turkens LOVE it!!
As usual I was convinced I would save money if i made my own brooder for the chicks that were on their way. With 6 pending inhabitants I knew I had to work fast. So I looked around my yard for materials to start the project...
I had a couple of these Ikea book shelves not in use and since they were the right dimensions I figured they would make a good skeleton for the brooder. Without any real plans I set to work.
I took out the shelves and added plywood to what would be the back and bottom of the box.
Hardware wire was added for security and safety. Thinking ahead I put in a cross bar to anchor the hinged poop door that was to come.
Hinged doors added to make cleaning out the box easier.
Primer and paint were next.
Passed a surprise inspection by the building inspectors.
linoleum installed. Now for doors and chickens!!
More inspections. I did get fined for painting on the lawn, but it was really just a peck on the wrist.
Hinges on the doors and installed latches. We're ready for Chickie's.
Changes I have made:
Linoleum was added further up the sides so that it covered more open spaces between the slats in the wood. I gravely underestimated how far up the chicks could kick pine shavings.
I previously had the food and water containers sitting on blocks of wood but they still got FULL of shavings.
Here's a pic of the latest fix. Water container hung from hooks and homemade feeders made from my sons old rain boots. Cut the toes out and fill from the top.
(Idea inspired by my new hero Janet. Here it is at 1:00 http://tinyurl.com/bumkgn7)
What I would have done differently:
Nothing! I love it and think its perfect
To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!