The chicks were just about ready to get out the safety of their nursery on the front porch and join the other birds in the coop. I would’ve preferred there be more space in the coop to accommodate the growing flock but that is not an option at the moment. I assumed the first few days would be trying but I was hopeful the birds would work things out themselves, eventually.
Just to provide them with more options for roosting location and hangout space, I wanted to get an old ladder. I was stoked I found two options at the antique market I went to until I saw the price tags; more than I thought necessary to spend considering how quickly anything put in the coop gets dirty.
As a backup option I went to a hardware store and spent $7.00 on the supplies I’d need. Sawed some wood, screwed pieces together and attached it to the chosen spot - perfect. It turned out great. Simple, cheap. I was pleased.... until.... days later they’re still not interested.......
Now it’s about two weeks later and they’re all about it. It’s like an episode of three stooges watching one jump up and knock the other off, carrying on for a while until the four chicks are finally up and satisfied- for the moment.
They have been roosting there at night.
This was such a simple and perfect solution for a coop that’s gotten to be a bit crammed. We couldn’t go out so we had to go up.
When winter comes though the big chickens will have to share the hutch in the run so they can all keep warm. Hopefully by then everyone will get along.
The ducks are happy too that the chicks are out of their way and off the ground.