The coop was build out of reclaimed wood I found around town. Pallets, fencing and odds and ends. The only cost was the hardware which was about $150 total. We have 8 chickens; 2 Americanas, 2 Australorps, 2 Barred Rocks and 2 Road Island Reds.
This was when I thought i was only going to have 4 chickens. When
ended up with 8 because my daughter wanted the "Ones that lay
the blue eggs." And we bought a few extra for fear we would lose
A few to the boy or the dog.
This is where the nesting box sits attached to the bottom run area.
The design of the coop was primarily determinate by what wood I was able
to find. Thus the "Stair Step" of the top of the coop.
Showing the ladder to the top.
You can see in this photo where I have started to "Skin" the living
area of the coop with fence planks I found.
Building of the top of the coop support beams.
This is the bottom of the coop and the run area. The whole area
is wrapped in 1/2 inch hardware cloth.
The finished product. I have 2 doors on the top and 2 doors
on the bottom "Run" area. I have wheels that I got the design
from the "Hen Hideout" by CovertChickOps. After moving the
coop to the backyard for the first time I WILL be adding a second
set of wheels. The roof is topped with Tuftex PolyCarb which is
one of the most expensive parts of the coop. They are $35.00
per panel and I have 2. The hardware mesh was another expensive
part of the coop. Each roll is about $40.00 at Lowes and I had 2 rolls.
3 Nesting boxes.
Here is a picture of the nesting boxes from the outside.
It has a large bench hinge on the bottom for easy opening
and cleaning of the boxes.
Nice shot of the hardware wire and the ventilation of the coop.
Little pop door on the back of the coop.
The 2X4s you see attached here are for easy moving of the coop
and will be removed.
If I had to do it again, I am not sure I would use reclaimed wood. It took me weeks
to break down the pallets and remove all the nails and staples in the wood.
To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!