Temporary quarantine enclosure - easy to disassemble for storage

By sluggospud · Apr 14, 2018 · Updated May 25, 2018 · ·
Rating:
4/5,
  1. sluggospud
    My last attempt at integrating new birds into my flock did not go well. This time I have a temporary enclosure for the new birds within sight vision of the main enclosure.

    The design goals were:
    Use up as much scrap material in the junk pile.
    Easy to disassemble for storage when not in use.

    I went with 4' x 4' x 3'. 4x4 would allow me to use a half sheet of plywood for the top. This is the largest size that will fit in my car. 3' height to use 36" wide hardware cloth.

    Initial design sketches:
    quar_coop_Iso_plan.jpg
    quar_coop_plan.jpg

    I framed using 2 x 3 pine studs.

    quar_coop_frame.jpg

    For siding I used a combo of some redwood planks and plastic lawn edging strip that I had in the junk pile.

    The lid is a half sheet of 1/4" plywood on a 2x3 frame.

    quar_coop.jpg

    There are 8 lug bolts that hold the whole thing together. It disassembles into 4 side panels, lid, and roost crossbar.

    I live in a fairly temperate climate, so this semi-open enclosure is fine for spring, summer, & fall. In a pinch it will be ok for full grown birds in winter.

    All access is through the top. With a healthy local hawk population, my birds are not free range. I'll be testing this out with 3 young pullets next month. At 16 square feet, it will be a bit crowded, but fine until I'm ready to put the younger pullets in with the main flock.

    Update after getting some use out of this enclosure.
    I put 3 5.5 week old chicks in here, and they seemed lost having so much room. I bought them from someone who was using an Omlet Eggloo with extended run for a lot of babies, so they were used to a more compact arrangement. I put in a box which gave them a tight corner for the 3 of them to snuggle together. They didn't climb up on the roost bar for a couple of weeks.
    At 6 weeks:
    IMG_1660.jpg

    My only complaint is that it was a little too tall for me to easily reach inside from the top.

    At 9 weeks:
    IMG_1677.jpg


    The chicks are now 9.5 weeks old and today I did a swap-out. These 3 youngsters went into the main coop, and one of my older birds went into the quarantine. She started to get lethargic a couple of days ago, and I want to keep her separated.

    IMG_1681.jpg

    Share This Article

    KikisGirls and N F C like this.

Recent User Reviews

  1. MROO
    "Great temporary, yet solid, enclosure. I want!"
    4/5, 4 out of 5, reviewed Jul 17, 2018
    This is a great idea for a temporary shelter. I like that it breaks down easily for storage or moving. Your point about not being able to reach in from the top is well taken, so when I build one of these - and I will definitely build one, because your plans and instructions are easy to follow - I will take that into consideration. This was very nicely done. Thank you!
    sluggospud likes this.

Comments

To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!
  1. SpeckledSussex2005
    Very cool! We have always used a large dog kennel, but this is awsome!
  2. casportpony
    Great article!
  3. Lilly Pilly
    Great idea, thanks for your good pics and plans
  4. KikisGirls
    Looks great!
    Thanks for sharing!
  5. N F C
    I hope you'll update this to let us know how it works out for you. Good job!
      KikisGirls likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: