Wood2876s Chicken Incubator

By Wood2876 · Jan 11, 2012 · ·
  1. Wood2876

    I decided for a weekend project, I would build an incubator. I went to Lowe’s, TSC, and Petco to get supplies. I spent about $200.00 total. The Zilla Thermostat I purchased at Petco was $49.95.
    (6) 2’ x 2’ x ¼” plywood
    (6) 1” x 2” x 8’ boards
    (2) 8” x 10” plexiglass
    (1) 3/8” threaded rod
    3/8” flat washers & nuts
    (1) ¼” threaded rod
    ¼” flat washers & nuts
    (2) dimmer switches & (1) double light switch box
    12” x 18” piece of stainless steel
    #6 1” screws
    #6 1 ½” screws
    1 3/8” screw eye
    (Pack of 6) ¾” poly foam
    (4) 1 ½” x 1 ½” corner metal
    (4) metal repair strips
    (2) window latches
    (2) hinges
    Dual outdoor light fixture & (2) 60 watt flood lights
    Roll of door strip seal
    Wire cloth
    Zilla 1000 watt thermostat
    The outside measurements are 2’ x 2’. I stared out building the frame with the 1” x 2” boards. I attached the bottom, top, and both side panels. I then trimmed the front and back panels. I attached the back panel. I used liquid nails to attach the poly foam to the inside of the panels. I drilled a hole for the fan cord in the back. I drilled a hole in the top for the wiring from the light fixture. I attached the light fixture. I then built a shelf 12” wide and attached it to 1” x 2” boards. I attached the fan to the shelf. I placed the shelf and frame inside and attached with screws. I made the frame for the egg trays 18” X 18”. I attached the wire cloth to the tray frames with roofing screws. I attached the metal corner frames to the trays while placing the wire cloth. I attached the metal repair strips to the metal frame. I drilled a hole in the sides to place the 3/8” thread rod through. I started two nuts on the rod after placing it through one side. I then pushed it through the corner metal placing two more nuts. I placed two more nuts on the rod before pushing it through the other corner metal. I placed two more nuts on the rod before pushing it through the other side. I placed two nuts on the rod on both side on the outside. This is time consuming because you have to keep adjusting the nuts as you go. I then centered the trays and tightened the nuts against the corner metal. I drilled a hole through the top. I placed an eye on the top tray facing the front. I then pushed the ¼” rod down and secured it to the eye on the tray. I did this so I could turn the trays without having to open the door. I placed an eye on the top near the hole. I placed a wing nut on the rod at the top to tilt the trays toward the back. I attached a piece of wire to the handle I made out of 1” x 2” so when I loosen the wing nut, I can push down on the rod to tilt the trays forward. When the handle is down where I want it, I secure the wire to the eye to hold it in place. I drilled three 7/8” holes in each side between the trays for fresh air. I used heavy duty extension cord wire to wire the lights and placed a plug on the end to plug into the thermostat. I attached an eye on the side to hold the Zilla Thermostat. I trimmed the front panel for the door. I cut a hole for the plexiglass. I used a plexiglass panel on the outside and inside. I cut the poly foam and attached to the door. I attached 1” x 2” around the outside of the door. I placed the hinges on and then the window latches. I then used the rope style door seal around the inside of the door.
    I didn’t really have any plans other than just in my head.
    To my surprise everything worked when I was finished. The temperature is holding at 100 degrees without any fluctuation. The humidity is holding at 35% to 41% without any water.
    I couldn't wait any longer so I set 36 eggs just to try my luck at incubating for the first time.
    So here are the pictures of the finished product. I didn’t take any while I was working.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Update: 04-17-2010
    It works. It is day 20 and the hatch has started. So far three have hatched and several more have pipped.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

    Update: 04-19-2010

    85% Hatch Rate - This is the 1st time I have ever used an incubator.

    Share This Article

Recent User Reviews

  1. Anonymous
    "Good list of items."
    3/5, 3 out of 5, reviewed Jan 29, 2019
    Nice build & list of items required.
  2. ronott1
    "good article"
    4/5, 4 out of 5, reviewed Aug 23, 2018
    cute chicks!
  3. Hope Hughes
    "Nice article"
    4/5, 4 out of 5, reviewed Jul 28, 2018
    I'm always for more "how to" photos.


To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!
  1. chicken guy
    this is what i have been looking for a incbator tha can massly hacthe eggs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: