Name your quietest chicken breed - Poll

annmarie

Songster
12 Years
Nov 20, 2007
Because there are a lot of stealth chicken farmers (or just urban, trying to keep peace in the neighborhood), I was wondering if people could post here if they have a particular breed of chicken that seems quieter than most. I don't believe there is any breed that is necessarily touted as a "quiet" breed, but with so many chicken people here, maybe we could come up with a breed or two that seem more quiet than the rest. (Or maybe not!) So here goes, I only have one of these, but I've noticed my Golden Comet rarely makes any noise whatsoever. So my very unscientific contribution would be...

Golden Comets (perhaps sex-links are quieter birds?)

Last edited:
I started looking for "quiet" chickens on the internet. One that has my attention is the Pekin. It's a bantam. Looks like a Cochin but is not. They are supposed to be very quiet, non flighty (would work well in a backyard setting), very friendly & broody. I'm doing some more research on this bird. I may have just found the next breed I get...

ya.gif

No, I don't believe that there's any difference between Cochins and Pekins - other than names (could be wrong
wink.png
). We had Cochin banties when I was a kid and I don't remember them being especially quiet. I've had one in more recent years. She was certainly quiet but the most picked on in a flock of mostly standards.

Other than a few odd birds, I've had the following (along with Cornish X's, which I don't think you are asking about):

Black Australorps
Barred Rocks
Buff Orpingtons
Light Brahmas
Ameraucana

I'll say that the Buff Orpingtons were the quietest.

Steve

So one vote for Golden Comets, one vote for Silkies, one for Buff Orpingtons, and one for Pekin Bantams (I looked these up and they're beautiful little birds!). That's not a lot of votes! Does this mean they're all a bunch of loud-mouths?
big_smile.png

Last edited:
For the Poll

Of all my girls (SLW, RIR, NHR, BR, and EE) I have to say that everyone except the EE's talk ALOT when I come into the coop and they expect treats. I have yet to hear the EE's make a sound. Not even when being chased by the others or receiving treats. So my vote is for the EE's, but since they are not a breed and there are so many different types I'm not sure this vote is valid.

signed

hanging Chad in Florida

tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom