1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Name your quietest chicken breed - Poll

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by annmarie, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Iceblink

Iceblink Chillin' With My Peeps

My Barred Rock and Black Star (sl) were fairly quiet. My Buff Orp was fairly quiet most of the time, but she was definately louder than the other two. Usually before and after she had laid an egg.

A little off topic: too bad Sex Links aren't actual breeds, I adored mine, and everyone on here seems to be really happy with theirs.

2. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, let's see - my French Cuckoo Marans are very quiet. Also, my Black Ameraucana (not EE) is quiet (unless I try to pick her up, then she screams like a banshee!!) [​IMG]

3. blueskylen

blueskylen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    WV
    my EE's only give a tiny whistle type of chirp - very quiet and musical.
    the black australorps are by far the noisiest and very loud!

4. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

That's interesting! My EE's are loud!! Probably has to do with what breeds are used to make them.

5. Barn Maid Ann

Barn Maid Ann Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    Punta Gorda, FL
    Quote:My two EE hens are my quietest ones. I've only ever heard just a little noise out of them when being chased by the roo's, but not much even then. The loudest noise I get from them is their thundering footfalls as they run for treats. [​IMG]

My Golden Comets talk to me in a quiet voice, but everyone in the county knows when they have laid an egg!

My cute little Silver Spangled Hamburg hens are relatively quiet until you have to catch them up. OMG! I swear they actually yell "HELP, HELLLLLLP!!!" LOL

Andalusian hens are pretty quiet. Roosters NEVER shut up.
    Ditto on the WFBlack Spanish. Though the rooster isn't quite as noisy in the coop, but once free ranging, its a crowing freeforall.

6. glowworm

glowworm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2008
    SacraTomato, CA
    My light brahma hen is the quietest out of 5 different breeds I have. I never hear anything from her. My RIR is the talker, but only when there is something to make noise about.

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Our three EEs make no noise.

Buff Orp is quiet

Cinnamon Queen is quiet.

LOUD: (In order of loudness)

RIR
    Barred Rock
    Black Star
    Partridge Rock
    Red Star
    White Rock
    Leghorns (White and Light Brown)

8. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Cochins are my quietest breed by far. The rooster crows once or twice in the morning and that is it.

9. Jamie821

Jamie821 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Niota, Tennessee
    I have twelve breeds and the quietest by far is my cuckoo marans. Hardly hear a peep out of them even at feeding time they just rush for me but quietly.

10. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Dorkings. That includes the rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by