Research on worming chickens with albendazole

Pics

Comet Mum

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 29, 2008
Oxford, NC
One of my hens was looking thin and then I saw a roundworm in droppings this week-ugh!
sickbyc.gif
Based on various posts on this site, I decided to worm my hens with Valbazen (albendazole). Afterwards, I had some serious second thoughts, which led me to do some additional investigation, which ultimately calmed my nerves. The recommendation to use Valbazen was a good one! Thanks to BYC!
love.gif

The article that calmed my nerves describes research done on broilers using 3 dose levels of albendazole (5 mg, 10 mg and 20 mg/kg body weight) and then measuring the effectiveness by doing necropsy analysis 7 days after treatment. Here is the link to the journal article: http://japr.fass.org/cgi/content/full/16/3/392#T1

Summary of study findings and how I’ll manage my flock:
1. There was a high incidence of worms in this 1 year old flock, maintained on litter. Incidence:
o Ascaridia galli (roundworms)—73% adults; 80% larvae,
o Heterakis gallinarum (cecal worms)—100% adults; 73% larvae
o Capillaria obsignata. (capillary or thread worms)—100% adults; 100% larvae
o Raillietina cesticillus (tapeworms)—53%

2. There were no adverse effects of albendazole treatments on bird appearance, behavior, apparent appetite, and weight gain.

3. Good control was seen at 10 mg/kg for all worms except tapeworms, which required 20 mg/kg for control.

4. Through other medical websites, I found that albendazole is used to treat humans with worm infections.

5. Conclusions:
o Since there is a very high incidence of worms in chickens raised on litter, I plan to worm my chickens 2 times per year, or more frequently if I observe worms or weight loss.

o I will use 10-20 mg albendazole/kg body weight, which translates to:
- 2 pound chicken ~0.1 ml Valbazen
- 4 pound chicken ~0.25 ml Valbazen
- 7 pound chicken ~0.5 ml Valbazen

o I’ll not eat the eggs for 2 weeks, although since albendazole is used in humans, this is probably not essential.

I hope others find this useful.

Thank you very much for posting this. I was just research this very topic this morning. Did it say anywhere the best way to treat the chickens? Can the albendazole be put in their water or does it have to be given on an individual basis?

Last edited:
Quote:
I used albendazole and was glad I did. I know you can put it in water, but I'd have to look back and see if I can find the directions for that.
In my situation I found giving it orally was alot easier than I thought it would be. My SO helped me and we used a needleless syringe. We went into the coop early in the morning before turning the chooks loose for the day. He grabbed a chook, I opened their beak and dosed them. After each one was dosed he turned them loose out the door so no one was double dosed. The roosters didn't want to cooperate by opening their beaks, so I tugged gently on their wattles and viola! the beak opened.
I'll go back and see if I can find the water route dosage for you.

ETA: Halo, I'm sorry I wasn't able to find the dosage if you want to add it to their water. I may actually be thinking of a different medication.
hmm.png

Last edited:
albendazole - Guaranteed the most effective wormer on the market for chickens, chemical or natural.........I've used them all on enough birds to know

Gritsar, YOUR posts were the ones that originally guided me to look at this stuff. But after I dosed the birds, my biochemist DH asked me some questions that had me second guessing... Anyway, I am glad that I found the study because it reinforced the safety and value of this "off label" use of the med.

As for using it in water, I don't think it is a good idea because it is in a suspension that doesn't seem very water soluble to me.

I agree that dosing orally with a needleless syringe was quick and easy. I was able to do it all by myself, though a second pair of hands would have been helpful.

By the way, I had been using DE liberally and found it to be an insufficient control for worms. I'll still use it to control dampness and odor in the coop, but won't expect it to effectively control worms.

I got mine at Southern States. I think you can also find it at Tractor supply. It is marketed as a sheep & cattle wormer.

BTW, my girls are looking better and more active in the 10 days since the worming. So, I'm sold!

Thanks for the post..
great info..

Pine Grove..do you give orally or inject?
if you inject..is it SQ?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom