My first time! - My detailed experience eating my 1st fresh brown egg!

PacsMan

Songster
10 Years
Feb 8, 2009
Salt Lake Valley
I just ate my first fresh brown egg ever tonight!

All I can say is Wow…

Let me tell you about it.
First, we have 12 - 3 week old chicks. Is it really going to take until July to get eggs?
We’re “chicken sitting” for a neighbor who is out of town for 3 days. “You can just take all of the eggs home”, she said. Tonight was our first sitting job and we took home 4 brown eggs and one white one.

I picked out a large brown egg from a RIR or a Barred Plymouth Rock. These chickens have been fed on some sort of mash, and free range on a (wintered) yard.

First impressions;
Cool looking large brown egg.
I cracked it with a knife. It has a solid thick shell. Much thicker than a store bought egg.

Then;
I put it in a clear glass bowl to look at it first.
Albumin is cloudy, as a fresh egg should be.
Yoke is just a little darker than store bought. (Thought it would be even darker)
Small red spot on the yoke, but I now know it has nothing to do with fertilization. (I love library books at BYC!)
I decide on a fried, sunny side up egg.
So I throw some real butter on a hot pan. It sizzles, and I think to myself, “Too much butter… yet again… Oh well…” and then smile to myself, “this is gunna be good!”

I pop a piece of toast into the toaster, and set the butter next to it, hoping it will get warm and spread easier.

Now the butter has melted in the pan. I slowly put my brown lovely single egg snack into the pan, and put a lid on it and let is sizzle.

4 minutes later the top of the yoke has a slight white covering. I jiggle the pan to see if it’s “done” to my taste.
Yup. Not too runny, but just enough…

I slide it out on to the piece of my toast and feel guilty about too much butter. So I decide to add more pepper than salt this time.

I eat around the yoke, tasting the egg white with toast, butter, pepper, and a pinch of salt.

It’s good, but not knock your socks off good.

But, I had an early dinner, so it hits the spot.

Then I go for that last bite.
The whole yoke, small piece of toast, butter, pepper, salt, the works.

I really try to taste this one. (I’ve heard so much about farm fresh brown egg yokes)

This first thing that hits me is, “Wow, it feels creamy”
Not… flat (I guess is the word I’m looking for…) like a store bought egg.

It’s creamy and, it’s hard to describe, but it had ‘more’ flavor. Kind of a robustness I guess.

It was really good. I fully enjoyed my first (of many) farm fresh brown eggs!

Anyway, I just had to write my thoughts down of…. my first time…

Do you remember your first time?
How do you like your eggs done?
Tomorrow morning I’m having 3 soft boiled eggs… my 2nd favorite!
droolin.gif

Marty

Last edited:
Well written! Yes -there is something 'other worldly'in a fresh egg(and free range at that!) somehow we've lost that good food taste...slow food nation

its crazy my kids HATE store eggs... refuse to eat them.. Phoebe asked me the other day what we did for eggs before we got our own chickens I told her we bought the eggs at the store... she said WHAT!!! Mom thats NUTS those things are rotten... smart kid I got on my hands! in second grade and she already know farm fresh is better than store bought... she also knows fractions and geography and long division and russian, and typing, and metric conversions, and some light geometery!!!

I dun gone and gut me a fmart kid...

fresh is best!!!

frow.gif
&
welcome-byc.gif

Hi neighbor, I am in Murray. You done good!

Perfect way to eat an egg, correct cooking & eating techniques were used!
thumbsup.gif

Yup, you now have a long wait in front of you before you can sample your own, what breeds do you have? You know that IFA got chicks in yesterday.... might see you there one day, which one to you go to? I guess I'll have to buy a BYC shirt to wear when I go - see how many of "us" are "out there".

Quote:
I don't, but I'd be willing to try them!

eggzettera, I go to the IFA in Draper. Bought my chicks from a lady on 10600 and 12th East area...

I've got
5 Plymoth Barred
4 Red Sex links
1 Buf Orph
1 RIR and
1 Australorp

12 in all!

Back
Top Bottom