I think I am done with Babies...No more Heartaches Please! =(

Bec

THE Delaware Blue Hen
12 Years
Feb 21, 2007
Home Of The Delaware Blue Hen
I just lost my second baby today
hit.gif
She drown just like the last one did, but not the same waterer. This was a pretty shallow one that I thought the babies would be fine with because it was shallow. I was wrong...AGAIN. This was my last little EE baby. I think from now in IF I get babies, I will be raising them in the house with me, not with a broody. That poor Momma hen has now had 2 of her babies drown....She must be so sad
sad.png

I was just thinking about maybe hatching out some more, but I have completely changed my mind now. Every time I think I improve to make it safer, something bad happens...

So sorry to hear about your loss. If you dont mind I would like to make a suggestion. Try using the type of waterer that the chicks can only fit their beaks in. These are a plate that you screw a jar or plastic jug into and come in many different sizes. I use these with my brood hens. Some brood hens have the best intentions but dont make the best mothers. Some scratch at the ground and send their chicks flying through the air behind them. Some will even run around in a thunder storm with drenched babies falling behind and some will step on a chick and hear it screaming but just stand there and look around for a predator and cackle as if they are clueless of the chick under thier foot. In other words not all hens are good broodies and I have had chicks drown in shallow dishes from the mothers standing on them in the water. I have never had this issue with the waterers I suggested. Try checking at the local farm supply store.

I know how bad you feel but dont give up.
hugs.gif
Talk with your local feed store and see if there is something your can alter or make yourself for water. The other option as always is a brooder. Try again, it's worth it!
smile.png

I was thinking I should go get the 3 gallon waterer, the kind that screws onto the base, then I thought..nah, it is plenty shallow. Should have gone with my gut instinct.
sad.png

Oh Bec, I am so sorry to hear that.
hugs.gif

Don't give up, it's a hard learning curve but worth it.

It's sad now, but try again, and soon! You'll be that much more appreciative and happy when you succeed. Without sadness, we wouldn't appreciate happiness.

Suzy

hugs.gif

Sorry you're having such bad luck. Hugs

I second the marble or smooth rocks in the water. It seems to encourage them to drink better the first few days. As well as keeping them from drowning.

Back
Top Bottom