In the middle of bumblefoot surgery and need help - fast!

ArizonaDesertChicks

Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs
15 Years
Dec 8, 2008
Glendale, AZ
I just discovered that several of my chickens have bumblefoot - most in the very early stages (have to look at the bottoms of their feet to see it).

I read all the how-tos and thought I knew what I was doing, but now I'm stuck and scared. We chose the hen with the worst case (she has a large swollen area on one of her toes with a very tiny scab at the bottom of her pad) to start with. We washed and then sanitized her feet with betadine. I picked off the scab (very small) with the scalpel from my daughter's dissection kit (sanitized it first). There is now a very small hole that just keeps bleeding. No pus when I squeeze - just blood. It hurts her every time I try to cut or squeeze at it. I don't know how deep I'm supposed to cut and am afraid of hurting her. My daughter is in there now holding her still (the hen has a towel over her head). How deep do I go? Do I cut deeper where the scab is or do I cut where the most swollen area is? Any advice would be helpful!

Sometimes the plug comes out with the scab. If you didn't get it, the foot will not heal and you can try again.

I would pack the foot with some antibiotic ointment and gauze and wrap with vet wrap and let her be for a week.

The scab was really tiny - it did feel like there might have been a super small plug attached, but no pus. Could the plug be very small if she has a large, painful, swollen area on her toe?

I'm no bumblefoot expert but a good soak in warm water with a bit of Betadine in it would certainly not hurt at this point. The swelling may be infection and a soak might get Betadine up into it. You may have gotten the plug -- or not. Then pips&peeps probably made a good suggestion. You will just have to reassess in a day or two. Maybe you will get some info from someone more expert by then.

Pips & Peeps & Dawn, thanks for your help.

I put neosporin on her and bandaged up her foot. I then went on to another chicken and the plugs were more obvious - I think I did hers correctly. After I took hen #2 outside to the special pen, I noticed that the bandage from hen #1 had already fallen off. I looked at her again and noticed a hard white bump on the side of the huge swollen area (not anywhere near the scab). I decided to cut into it - bingo! Found a huge, hard hunk of white gunk (hardened puss?). Hopefully, that'll do it for her.

Now, on to the rest of them. This is so hard (even though my teen daughters love their pet chickens, they are grossed out and don't even want to help and my hubby is not into chickens at all). This is one part of owning chickens I hadn't anticipated.

with all that said
here is the problem at hand

what is causing so many of your chicken to get the buble foot?

they have to come down on hard objects to cause the bruise and then the staph comes in

It takes about 6 weeks of constant care and keeping the injured bird up by them selves to heal and doctor bumble foot

if left alone the bumblefoot heals over and the bird lomps for life

so get to the situation where so many are getting bumble foot

any questions email me

Wow, this is so interesting! Please keep us posted.

I hope I never have to do what you are doing. I'm very impressed with your, your, well, your nerves of steel! I'd be a blubbering mess, I'm sure.

Bubble foot can result from any break in the skin of the foot.

I had a totem pole cactus come down in a wind storm, and a couple of my hens walked on it. They both came down with bumblefoot.

One died from another cause, but I have the remaining sick hen in the hospital pen. We have been treating her for the last year. Everytime we take her off of the antibiotic, the problem returns.

When we had lots of chickens, we would just cull these problem hens, but now I only have eight hens, and I have to deal with it. I really don't want to do the surgery again. It is really traumatic.

Maybe culling is the answer.

Rufus

the best way to heal this cutting areas is for the chicken to be kept in small cage so she can't rub off the bandage and the medication
also I would put the bandage on it and then tape a old sock to the leg so the dirt can't get into the sore

it is better to leave thm heal with out sores from cutting if you can't keep them up for 6 weeks
the bruise will heal a corn type spot and they may limp

your worse with the open sores as you can't keep the dirt out of them

find out what is under their roost that they are jumping off into that causes the bruise ie:bumble foot???

any questions email me

Back
Top Bottom