HELP! Yolk sack still bulging

setting_silkie

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 11, 2007
Massachusetts
I have one chick in the bator that was having a really hard time coming out...one of the last of 12. I finally decided after a whole day to help him along. I took some of the shell off and let him have a go at it and he still wasn't able to do much. So I removed the rest of the shell and now I see that his yolk sack is not completely absorbed. Is there any hope? Should I do anything? He's still in the bator and I'm just not sure what to do. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

i have had many chicks hatch with this. OUt of 26 (yes ive kept a tally) only one ive been succesful of saving. Usually the yolk sac just breaks and the chick imidatly dies. With the one i saved i put the chick upside down and stuffed it back in with a wet cloth.*( all the other chicks didnt have a big enough opening for me to push back in) Then i took a paint brush and dipped it in egg white painted it over the opening then took a blow dryer and blowed it until it dried. then placed a band aid over it for extra support. i was very fortunate because three days later it closed up!
yippiechickie.gif
this was very exiting because this was the 12th attempt and it worked! bUT all the others didnt. hope this helps keep us updated. thanx.

-Mama Bird-
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom