HOLIDAY HATCH PARTY... chicks anyone... the party continues....

evonne

Songster
10 Years
Oct 5, 2009
Las Vegas
i decided to go ahead and start a thread here... it was discussed in the hatching and incubating thread...100+ posts over there and going.. but now our eggs are chicks....

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!! this is the noiseiest bunch i've had.... if they can see me it's normal volume chirping.. but if they an't see me.... i swear i could hear them throwing fits all the way at the back of the propert while i was feeding the goats and donkey....

this is my first hatch... the others were day olds.. ish... from the feed store... does that make a difference???
i was the first thing they saw through the incubator window.... i don't know what or when the hatchery chicks saw.. lol...
i'm gonna go insane.... !!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I have 2 brooders going so far (one more to go, in a couple days) from the Halloween Hatch. The first ones are all fiesty now, and running around. The second group (Lavender Orps) are just now kickin' in with energy. You can almost tell when the yolk has been absorbed, can't ya? They start eating like crazy and fightin' for alpha position! LOL

4 babies-

BO
RIR/BO
BSL/BO

Not sure who is who or what is what right now---they could all be BO since I lost 7, I'm a little confused.

2 Born 10/30/09
2 Born 10/31/09

Thanks for starting this thread!!

36729_4_chicks_007.jpg

36729_4_chicks_011.jpg

36729_4_chicks_003.jpg

36729_4_chicks_010.jpg

1 hatched an hour ago and waiting on the second egg under the broody. Candled both 2 days ago and they were doing good. So hoping the 2nd eggs makes it. Will post up picks when the chick comes out in the open.

I need to grab the camera. Can some one get my shoulders and push me up and cure this headache too? I moved the chicks from 2 weeks ago (except for Tiny, who at two weeks is the size of my Halloween bantam chicks). I thought they would do better in a less crowded brooder. So right now the brooder has the Halloween chicks and the ones from before Halloween.

And today I found a cache of 8 eggs. I was a good girl. I put them in the fridge so I can give them to our neighbor across the street like I promised.

I just moved all my babies into their new brooder in the garage. 30 babies, so far. Hoping to add 24 more in a couple days, if the Delawares do well!
Here is my "disposable" brooder, 6' x 8'.
ETA: It is 3 ft tall, and has a hinged (duck tape) door on the near side, so I can go inside. The 2x4 holding the lights is braced on saw horses (and nailed to it). Then DH further braced the light cords with a little plasctic doo-hickey that is used in wiring/electrical stuff. I don't want to take a chance of the light falling and starting a fire.

31282_brooder_box_in_garage_002.jpg

Here are some closer shots, just a few minutes after they moved in:

31282_brooder_box_in_garage_003.jpg

31282_brooder_box_in_garage_005.jpg

31282_brooder_box_in_garage_004.jpg

31282_brooder_box_in_garage_006.jpg

Last edited:
I hatched 4 silkies for my DD on Halloween (can you say "Trick or tweet!), and had one that had zipped but waited until Sunday to hatch out. Then 2 more hatched out Sunday afternoon!
jumpy.gif
Will post pics soon!!!

2952_halloween_tweets_3.jpg

Last edited:
kathyinmo: What is in the water bowls?

Marbles in the water bowl. I lost one, due to baby standing over the dish and fell asleep, and drowned. I highly recommend marbles, alot of them. I had them in there, but not enough I guess. I also put them up on a small brick now. If you are talking about the darker colored water, I add, "Nutri-Drench," it is a nutritional supplement.​

Back
Top Bottom