Look at what was eating my Chicken Feed

LauraSBale

Songster
11 Years
Aug 3, 2008
Linden, Mich S/W of Flint
I went to open everyone up yesterday morning and Honey Bees were eating there feed,
sickbyc.gif

they were all inside the feeder, all around, poor chickens couldn't get there feed,
hide.gif

14027_pics_new_camera_11-5-8-09_183.jpg

Yucky!
Did you get rid of them? Around here, so many farmers make a living off honey bees, we never kill any, but if they are more plentiful in your area, I would have kilt them for sure!

by late afternoon they were gone, and they weren't back this morning,

down the road from us, they have honey bee hives, my daughter was trying to step on them and i told her not to, that there Honey bees

the Neighbor said they probably dont have any food and there coming to chicken feed, gee i wonder what that honey will taste like
tongue.gif

Hhmmmm. I don't think we have found out yet what exactly the honey bees are doing with the feed. I have seen other instances of A. mellifera coming to bird feeders and bird seed, but the only problem is that the bees cannot eat any kind of solid. So what exactly are the bees doing? Not sure

I have noticed a lot of honey bees around here lately (although none in the feed!) I guess they are stocking up for the winter and that's why I'm seeing so much activity.

I like honey bees because they are the only flying/stinging wasp/bee that I am not deathly afraid of. (Those I have met are gentle, be my luck one day I'd get killed by a pack of the african killer bees)

A friend who has hives says they are storing up for winter, to put a dish of sugar with a tiny bit of water and a drop of vanilla away from where they are congregating, they will move over there- noticed my chickens won't eat them- guess they don't like 'spicey' food.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom