Your views on eating fertile eggs

CrazyCatNChickenLady

Songster
10 Years
Jan 23, 2010
Berry Creek, Ca
Okay I admit... I'm squeemish!
sickbyc.gif
I like eggs and LOVE my chickens.. but the thought of even unfertile eggs kind of gives me the whillys! I mean its the reproductive 'stuff' of a chicken! I even pick the chalaza(sp?) out before i'll eat an egg!! Silly, I know!!
tongue.png
I want roos pretty bad but can I actually stomach a fertile egg just from the thought of it?! Please someone get these negative thoughts out of my head and tell me a roo is the best way to go!! 'satisfied' chickens!! Right!? I want fertile eggs for hatching too! Any thoughts!!!

Fertile eggs are no different than unfertile eggs as far as eating. They dont taste any different or have and differences in nutrition.

Fertile eggs have the potential of becoming a chick, but only if they are incubated. Only at that time would the fertilized blastoderm cells start dividing to develop into an embryo.

In addition, the yolk is the food source for the chick as it develops, so it is really food, not reproductive material. Really, the only reproductive material is the tiny blastoderm spot on the yolk.

IF you really wanted to, you could remove the blastoderm and then you would only be eating the parts of the egg that are provided for the nutrition and support of the embryo if it were incubated.

Crack open the shell and look over the yolk until you find a small white spot and remove it with the tip of a knife. If it has a ring around it, like a white bullesye, then it is fertile, if not, it is infertile. Either way, only the tiny blastoderm spot is "fertile", not the yolk or albumin.

Does that help any?

There's been some great advice on BYC with people sharing their thoughts. Several have reminded us that a fertile egg doesn't contain what our imagination puts there.... instead, just a single sperm that fertilizes the egg, and the rest are blocked out - remember basic biology? I had some issues with that too, and the way I get around it is not to eat runny eggs. I like my eggs like I like my steak - well done! Get your rooster and enjoy him. We love to watch our chickens being catered to by our rooster, he actually brings them things that he finds and they always accept his love offerings. It seems to make our flock complete!

Edited to add:
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Whoaa!!! Thank You all!! What is a bloodspot from then? I think my dad is just trying to get some extra eggs outta me.. Well the ladies actually, with bad stories!!! (I guess this comes from the same 'wandering mind' that wont eat fish cause it lives in dirty water!
lol.png
)

and Thank you for the welcome!! I just Love the site!! chicken addict!! glad there's a whole community of back-up here! who needs facebook when there's a bunch of chicken-crazies all in one place- in an absolutely good way!!

Last edited:
A blood spot has nothing to do with fertilization, as many people think. It is actually just what it looks like...... a spot of blood. Sometimes during egg development, the hen has a tiny vein break in the oviduct and it leaves a spot of blood in the egg. On occasion, it may be a larger amount of blood, but that is not frequent, at all.

The reason why people think the spots relate to fertility is because they never or rarely see blood spots in eggs from the supermarket and think it is because those eggs arent fertile. Actually, it is because supermarket eggs are candled at the factory and all eggs with blood spots are thrown out.

Wait! You mean if you eat a fertile egg, it doesn't grow in your stomach!? Wow learn something everyday. Next thing you're gonna tell me, it's ok to eat watermelon seeds.

Seriously...I feel the same way...the mind plays games with ya. An egg is an egg.

Quote:
What she said.
It won't make a diffrence. Just get your will together and think of a nice egg fried scrambled or in a tart, cake etc........
droolin.gif

Back
Top Bottom