Your views on eating fertile eggs

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

Quote:
We have always discarded eggs with blood spots, and they are candled to keep them from commercial production. Is this just for the squemish? what about eating the eggs with blood spots? steaks are full of blood. Does anyone eat eggs with blood spots in them?
roll.png
sad.png

Quote:
We have always discarded eggs with blood spots, and they are candled to keep them from commercial production. Is this just for the squemish? what about eating the eggs with blood spots? steaks are full of blood. Does anyone eat eggs with blood spots in them?
roll.png
sad.png

I eat eggs with bloodspots... My mom throws them away.. From what i have heard and seen they are fine to eat..

I watch some food show the other day. In some maylasian country (don't remember too much about the show apparently) a specialty there were 18 day incubated duck eggs boiled. couldn't do that.

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

Shoot. I thought that was where babies came from. I mean logically... with storks and all...

I copied this from WiseGeek: "Many people who cook with eggs have found a chalaza or two in their travels. The chalaza looks like a little stringy white rope inside the egg. Sometimes both chalazae are visible, especially in fresh eggs, and in other cases, only one can be found. The chalaza is perfectly safe to eat, although some people remove it because they are concerned about its impact on the texture of a dish. A fine custard, for example, might be disrupted by a chalaza.

Originally, the chalaza starts out like a thin string. Over time, the structure usually becomes twisted, as the yolk moves around inside the egg, pulling the chalazae along with it. The chalazae develop a spiral pattern, exactly like a string which has been repeatedly twisted, and the twists stay in place because of the weight of the yolk prevents the chalazae from unwinding.

In addition to the chalazae, the yolk, and the white with their respective membranes, eggs also include a thin membrane between the white and the shell, and an air cell between the membrane and the egg which develops as the contents of the egg shrink. Over time, the air cell becomes larger, and a big air cell can be a sign that an egg is old.

The fresher an egg is, the more noticeable the chalazae are. Some cooks regard a prominent set as a sign of very high quality, although they only really reflect freshness. For quality, the color of the yolk has to be considered. The darker the yolk, the more nutritious the egg. Pale yolks indicate poor nutrition, and eggs with pale yolks tend to perform less well than more nutritious eggs in cooking and baking. They may have trouble, for example, acting as binders in a dish, and they also provide less nutrients to the consumer."

The blood spots & meat spots in eggs are perfectly fine to eat, they're just bits from the hen's egg-making apparatus. They're not included in most commercial eggs for the average squeemish customer. I bet they're used as less-than Grade A eggs in other industries, not thrown away. Also, they fade with the age of the egg which is why you see them more often, like the chalazae, in your fresh eggs.

Back
Top Bottom