Your views on eating fertile eggs

When I was around 10-11 years old someone had gave my mom some eggs. She put them in the fridge. One morning she was fixing us some breakfast with these eggs. As she cracked open one on the side of the skillet a half formed chick fell out. I quit eating eggs from that day until about 9 years ago. I am now raising chickens because I love to eat chicken, want my own eggs, and it just makes sense. I have roosters with my hens that I want to get more chicks from. But the ones that I want just eggs from will never see a rooster as long as they are my supply of eating eggs.

Quote:
OMG EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWW!!! I would be SCARRED too!! That is so gross, oh my gosh. I can't even imagine!! Blecch.

Quote:
We have always discarded eggs with blood spots, and they are candled to keep them from commercial production. Is this just for the squemish? what about eating the eggs with blood spots? steaks are full of blood. Does anyone eat eggs with blood spots in them?
roll.png
sad.png

I sometimes just pick out the bloodspots. If there are too many or I just don't feel like it I give the egg to my dog. He's usually sitting right beside me waiting to see if it's a "good" egg - LOL. He LOVES eggs!

I grew up on a small farm and we ate everything we raised. Eggs had meat spots or blood spots (never had one with a chick in it, though), vegetables have bugs, worms and blemishes. Nothing in this world is perfect. If one has ever studied anthropology one knows that there is hardly an animal/product in this world that some culture, somewhere, doesn't use for food. And if you ever study food science and the federal standards for what's in processed food, you wouldn't eat anything. Sometimes, it just doesn't pay to think too much about some of this!
old.gif

SallyF said
"I grew up on a small farm and we ate everything we raised. Eggs had meat spots or blood spots (never had one with a chick in it, though), vegetables have bugs, worms and blemishes. Nothing in this world is perfect. If one has ever studied anthropology one knows that there is hardly an animal/product in this world that some culture, somewhere, doesn't use for food. And if you ever study food science and the federal standards for what's in processed food, you wouldn't eat anything. Sometimes, it just doesn't pay to think too much about some of this!"

I agree. On some of those programs they have on TV and what I have seen those people eat...
sickbyc.gif
I will eat a fertile egg any day.

Eating fertile eggs does not bother me...
but hamburger? I make my own.
The sad part is I use nice cuts of meat, and grind it..make patties, and when cooked they are tasteless unless you 'doctor' them with a lot of amendments like spices or onions.

Makes you wonder what is in processed store hamburger that is obviously making it taste a lot better.
Terry in TN

I doubt that commercial eggs with blood/meat spots are "discarded" -- I'm pretty darn sure that they are used in things like pre-packaged mixes or pre-made food, where we would never notice!!!!!!
When it comes to the egg industry, it's all about the dollar, and throwing out eggs that have fifteen cents worth of feed in them would be illogical.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom