Skinning a chicken...WARNING! Graphic Pics!

Buster

Back to Work
12 Years
Jan 4, 2008
The Frozen Wasteland of Idaho
Ok, there have been several people who have asked how to skin a chicken rather than pluck the feathers. I had a mean lead hen in my coop and after all the chances I gave her, she had to go. So in order to help those who have never skinned a chicken, I had my wife take pics as I went. I skinned it the way I have always skinned the grouse that I have taken hunting although it is a little different because chickens have more fat and thicker skin than grouse. Yes I did it outside, mostly because I've done the same with all the birds I've hunted. You may choose to do it inside or in a plastic tub but this is how I do it.

After dispatching the chicken, pull the feathers out from the belly area, between the vent and the breast bone.

DSCI0288.jpg

Then slice across like this, being careful not to cut the innards:

DSCI0290.jpg

Make the opening big enough to slide your hand into to be able to pull the innards out. Reach all the way up into the cavity and pull out. Make sure to pull out the wind pipe and also to run your fingers down each side of the spine along the ribs to pull out the lungs, heart and kidneys. Cut the vent out of the back as well, being careful not to get fecal matter on the meat. It helps to not feed the bird 24 hours before culling.

DSCI0291.jpg

DSCI0292.jpg

Next, cut the skin starting at the breast bone up towards the neck just enough to get a hold of.

DSCI0294.jpg

Then pull the skin off and peel it almost like you are taking a jacket off the bird. Pull the wings and legs as far as you can through it, Then break them at the joint and cut the tendons with a knife.

DSCI0301.jpg

DSCI0302.jpg

Grab hold of the base of the tail and twist it off. The wings can be done before or after you peel the skin off the back but you should look about like this (in this pic I have one more wing to take off)

DSCI0306.jpg

You may choose to leave the neck on or take it off. I choose to take it off. Cut along either side of the neck down the spine and pull the neck off.

DSCI0309.jpg

DSCI0311.jpg

Just about done:

DSCI0313.jpg

At this point, I wash the bird outside with a hose to remove any dirt or feathers and check for any remaining innards and pull off whatever fat you can.

Now it is ready to do whatever you choose with it. We decided to soak ours in salt water for a couple of days.

DSCI0318.jpg

Good Luck!

i have a guy process two roosters for me and he left the neck on. i had no idea how to properly take it off so i just chopped it with a cleaver. thanks for the pic on how to properly cut it off.

michele

Nice job!

Next time you might want to tie her legs and find something to hang her from. You can cut the circle around where the leg meets the feet and at the top around the neck then pull and you can strip it clean in a couple good pulls. All that is left is to open the cavity and remove the innards.

I like that nice fat on her. Means she is eating well.

I would like to add when you cook her down slow in a big stock pot really long and slow that fat on her will make some rich broth. most likely enough to freeze or can to use to make easy soup later and have your current meal.

Ms. P is definetly right that fat will take the place of some of the flavor you lose from removing the skin. I've done it both ways and this is an easier way to clean a bird, but I love the flavor and juciness keeping the skin adds.

Great job and pics. skinning btw!

what a great tutorial this is my first year to do chickens im hoping my husband will do it for me but this tutorial makes it look not so bad Thank you

Back
Top Bottom