Some of my girls are gone! Saw the evil one!

Cats Critters

Completely Indecisive
13 Years
Oct 15, 2007
Clarion County, PA
My Coop
My Coop
Something (I'm thinking a coon) broke into my coop and there is a large amount of feathers and a whole in the wall. I need to get a good head count but the following girls are know to be missing

My favorite BA/EE:
4439_ba-ee_pullet_2-15.jpg

One of my white leghorns

and the one who makes me the most sad is my my Beautiful girl KD is missing
hit.gif

4439_kd_4-21_005.jpg

I'll be setting a havaheart trap to try to catch the killer and the wall is temporally patched inside and out for tonight. Also I'll be adding to the list as I figure out who is missing.

Last edited:
AWE !! This is so SAD!! I read alot on BYC about predators and I always count my chickens. I'm sure one day I will have a run in with a predator. I will cry like a baby too. I raise rabbits and three pitbulls came in my yard and bit through my cages killing three of my rabbits. I called the police and Animal control and the owners had to pay for everything. It still made me sad because I was breeding at the time.

The head count shows 6 girls missing
hit.gif
and the weird thing is one of my EE girls who looked fine and safe is now missing, too making a total of 7 missing and with both KD and Big Mama missing all my original EE girls are now gone
hit.gif
But I need to figure out who I lost.

The ones I have a know safe head count on is 23 hens, 9 roosters:
Chipmunk (my original EE roo)
Red (chipmunk's son)
Both BA girls
Both RIR girls (Fred and George)
All 5 CM girls
Black BA/EE
Black and Red BA/EE
Both WL/EE girls
Both BR girls
One of the WL (not sure if it is Betty or Vanna)
Grey (EE girl, thought to be KD's daughter)
I know some of my White, White and black EEs are safe
Some of my BR/EEs
and of course all 7 of my extra roosters who are living in the pen

I am constantly counting! 6 Buff O's, 6 RIR's. They free range all day and only go in the run at night, so I count, count, count, every time I go outside on my days off, and of course at night when I close the run! I have learned not to have a 'come apart' when I come up short, somebody is behind a tree or under the truck or in the horse pasture, or under shrubs...and so far...everyone always have turned up. So sorry for your losses! I surely hope you catch the predator that got into your coop.

My mom called me out to the kitchen because the chickens are squawking, run out there and there is a raccoon in the coop
somad.gif
all the chickens even my stubborn broodies where out of the coop and screaming. The raccoon spotting me runs right at me (only way out) and runs into the woods. I'm guessing that it is young and staving because it was eating the chicken feed. Found my havaheart trap and remembered it needs fixed before I can set it. And if I catch it, it will be killed because I'm not dumping my problem on anyone else.

I just dispatched a momma coon last night and three of her four babies. I set a live-trap and lured her in with cat food. Oddly enough she wasn't taking the bait last night and I ended up wounding a large male instead. I couldn't get another shot quick enough so I still have him to deal with. But, momma came around again about 4am and I shot her with a single shot .22 Then all her babies came out and it just couldn't be helped; they were all pretty close to going out on their own. First time I have EVER had to do this. My husband is an over the road truck driver and I have 20 hens to protect all by myself. I fee your pain! I didn't know I had that many coons out there!!! Best of luck to you...
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks, It looks like I lost 2 girls that I couldn't get out of trees the last couple nights
sad.png
(they are afraid of the coop, because of the attack) so I'm climbing up to night to get the last my baby broody as I call her. It also looks like I lost Romeo one of my males who was up for free/sale.
So I'm down to 21 hens, 8 roosters.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom