Dual breed vs Broilers

UBkevy

Songster
10 Years
May 5, 2009
Buffalo
I am planning to get into meat birds next year nothing crazy maybe 10 or so. I am not sure what I should go with. I am new to meat birds and not sure if I can pay allot of attention to bird care and feeding. And I cannot have rosters that crow do to unfriendly neighbors. I plan to get a new batch of layers in the spring and am not sure if I am better off getting a few more dual purpose breed birds and slaughter the odd balls, or go straight into broilers. Is there a big difference in meat between a proper broiler and a dual purpose breed? Is there a broiler that is not super high maintenance? What dual purpose breeds are good layers and meat birds, but also are mellow and cold hardy? I have some Barred and Partridge Rocks now, I like the Barred but the Partridge are to spooky. So something along those lines would be nice.

Hands down for us dual purpose are the Buff Orpington Roos and Dark Cornish. The Jumbo Cornish X will hardly crow at all and they will not live long enough for you worry about it. Dual purpose breeds are usually butchered at 16 -24 weeks.We raise both and the Cornish for us are faster to raise in 8 weeks.In spring and fall we raise a batch of 80 Jumbo Cornish and all extra roos from spring hatches go to "freezer camp" as well.

Buff Orpington roos after processing

7892_hpim3104.jpg

If you can't risk crowing roosters, your best bet would be to only have Cornish X for meat, you'd butcher at 6-8 weeks, long before they start to crow. Then whatever breed you want for layers.

DP's can start to crow before they get big enough to eat. Unless you want a really little bird.

Quote:
I was thinking along the same lines except suggesting Freedom Rangers. They are long gone before crowing as well, without all the attendant problems of the CX.

Quote:
Absolutely. Cornish X have the most meat, followed by the Freedom Rangers a close second, then way down the list some of the meaty "dual purpose" breeds.

Quote:
I was thinking along the same lines except suggesting Freedom Rangers. They are long gone before crowing as well, without all the attendant problems of the CX.

True, the FR's would be better, especially for a first timer.

You'll probably have to find somebody to share an order with, I don't think you can buy just 10, unless there's a place near enough for you pick them up in person.

Quote:
Caponizing is a daunting prospect for a lot of people, even if they've been raising meat birds for years! You really think that's the place to start, for a person getting their very first meat birds?

I have Wyandottes, I purchased 11 thinking it was a straight run, wanted the females for eggs and planned on sending all the males to freezer camp. They've been wonderful. However I ended up with 11 females... so, yay!

Back
Top Bottom